Wallyworld Digital Thermometers/Hygrometers

Quote:
Maybe you could get a large balloon, experiment with putting different amounts of water in it, fold it around your probe and secure it with a rubber band.....just a thought.
smile.png

Ed

I never would have thought of that- Thanks I'll give it a try. It would probably have to be one of those long skinny balloons cause I don't think you could use a regular balloon
idunno.gif

Quote:
Maybe you could get a large balloon, experiment with putting different amounts of water in it, fold it around your probe and secure it with a rubber band.....just a thought.
smile.png

Ed

I never would have thought of that- Thanks I'll give it a try. It would probably have to be one of those long skinny balloons cause I don't think you could use a regular balloon
idunno.gif

Hmm, I don't know what to tell you, you might have to experiment a bit. A pack with an assortment of balloons would probably be good to get.

Ed

Quote:
It's not unusual for the indoor and outdoor sensors to read differently. These are not medical or scientific grade thermometers.
smile.png
You will have to measure them against a thermometer that has a known precision to it.

Do you have a medical thermometer...a simple glass one like you put under your tongue to check for a fever? If so, put it in a glass of water and leave it in the incubator for 10-12 hours...24 hours would be better. Put the digital unit in there with it. At the end of the designated time pick the glass up and check the temperature on the med thermometer without removing it from the water. Compare this with the digital thermometer. If the digital reads higher than what the medical thermometer reads subtract ever how many degrees it takes to equal the med thermometer. If the digital reads lower then add degrees to make it equal the med thermometer. Make a note of how many degrees you need to add or subtract to the digital readout and when you look at the digital readout add or subtract that number of degrees.

Simply using a digital unit off the shelf without comparing it to a known standard (for example a medical thermometer) is really just shooting in the dark. You've got to compare them to know where your digital thermometer is really reading.

Ed

Quote:
That might be a good hygrometer if it can actually be calibrated (adjusted to read the correct humidity). But, I think the free shipping is if you buy $100 from these folks.
smile.png

Ed

Here is this morning's readings from the water jug:

Darkroom Therm. 8:15am, 65.5F
Accurite w/probe 8:15am, 65.7F, HI% (OUTDOOR)
Accurite w/probe 8:15am, 66.2F, HI% (INDOOR)
Accurite no probe 8:15am, 66F, 91%
Springfield Precise 8:15am, 66.4F, 93%

I'm still leaning to the outdoor probe, but there again it's just been sitting in the air and not in a water wiggler.

Ed
LL_20090416_1901Small.jpg

This morning's readings...

Darkroom Therm. 6:15am, 65.5F
Accurite w/probe 6:15am, 66.0F, HI% (OUTDOOR)
Accurite w/probe 6:15am, 66.6F, HI% (INDOOR)
Accurite no probe 6:15am, 66F, 89%
Springfield Precise 6:15am, 66.7F, 92%

I'm still leaning towards the outdoor probe sensor. I will be making a water wiggler from ziplocks this weekend, adding the thermometers that came with the Genisis and 1602 and possibly setting up one of the incubators to house the thermometers in....if the other chores don't interfere to much.
smile.png

Ed

LL_20090417_1910Small.jpg

Howdy CityGirl. Well, I haven't cranked up my incubator yet...elderly Mother not do very well right now. But, I'm still leaning toward the Accurite with the outdoor probe...and the probe being the more accurate sensor.

I've got a 1588 and a 1602 that I'm going to be using. This morning I started checking out the two spirit thermometers that came with them. The two thermometer had different readings and neither was correct (as compared to a digital medical thermometer). I can see that these can be calibrated very easily by slightly loosening them from the glue and gently slideing them up or down the scale to a pre-determined degree. Unfortunately the lady that stayed with my mother last night called and I had to leave earlier than planned. I'll continue my tinkering again when time allows.

But, for your Walmart trip...the one with the probe would have to be my pick.
smile.png

Ed

Back
Top Bottom