Walmart Hatching Eggs?? UPDATE..p6

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tigerrrrrrrlilly, Aug 14, 2010.

1. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I noticed the last 2 batches of eggs I bought at walmart have had bullseyes! I don't know if it is possible to hatch them after being in a really cold fridge for who knows how long but maybe I will try...
    Just thought it strange being Walmart and all.
    The box says Southwest Farmers Market. Not "natural", "organic" or "free range" or anything like that, although on the inside of the box it says "Also try Great Day All Natural Eggs"
    So maybe their "Great Day" business had a mix up with their "SouthWest Farms" business??
    Wonder what type of chickens they have. I am too curious for my own good, I soon may end up with some chickens I really shouldn't have or want, lol.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    If they're whites, I'd guess leghorns. If browns, I'm guessing some sort of production reds. [​IMG]

I doubt that they'd be hatchable.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would doubt that Walmart eggs would be fertile. I do know that there are member that have hatched eggs from Trader Joe's. They get leghorns from those eggs. Apparently the cold doesn't stop the fertilization, and hatch rates very much.

4. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I doubt they would be hatchable too, but I do know fertile eggs when I see them. I just thought it strange is all. I know store bought eggs are normally not supposed to be fertile and it is the first time I have ever seen definite bullseyes in them. It has been in about 13 out of the 15 eggs I have cracked so far.
    I doubt they are very fresh either, and ,I am sure, stored too cold for too long, but I will perform the experiment just for the heck of it. I have duck eggs going in the bator anyway.

5. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Hey what the heck, all you will lose is egg on toast for a few days [​IMG] I would also try and incubate just for my curiosity, would be a fun experiment, keep us posted would love to hear if it works or not, good luck [​IMG] and ps it would be a talking point among your family and friends if they hatch "where did you get them lovely chickens from"???? "oh I got them from walmart" [​IMG]

6. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    you know i seen that with some of my store bought eggs oh dang it tigerrrrrrlily you are going to get me in trouble for putting eggs in the incubator [​IMG] ive been wanting to try this for some time and im pretty sure i can do it.argg i shouldnt have read this i cant control myself when it comes to hathcing egss

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  7. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    i just pulled out five eggs to get room temp over night i have no control

8. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    Ok I know this is all rumor and hearsay but I read somewhere that someone did this and the eggs hatched. I say try it and good luck!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  9. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    thanks i added on more let them warm up and know there are 6 fred meyer eggs in the brinsea

10. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    I have eggs in the incubator right now from the farmers market. We asked around to see who had fertile eggs, and bought a dozen. They were very cold and the lady selling them was worried they would not develop, she could not tell me how old they were. At this point we have 5 at day 14 that look good when candled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by