Walmart prices higher than others

cybercat

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
Greeneville, Tn
This is a warning for those shopping to make sure to price shop. A couple of days ago we went to our local walmart and they were HIGHER than our premium food store. Seems walmart is now raising prices since everyone is shopping there to save money. Here are a few examples of what we saw. Eggs for one dozen were $1.97 at walmart at our premium store Ingles they were $1.00 a dozen. Milk at walmart great value brand was $3.39 a gal at our ingles it was $2.89 Laura Lynn brand. The other brand of Crystal light drink mix at walmart is $1.97 at ingles it is $1.50. We do not buy meat at walmart only at ingles for walmart is always more expensive for meat and not as good.

Now one thing about the ingles we shop at it is premium in that they carry all the organic food stuff and they deluxe item we can not find other places like my coco which is over $5 a container. We do have the ingles sav-mor here which is not premium and food city which is expensive but not premium either. We also shop at food country here so yes we have been able to compare many stores to walmart and see what they are doing. Now what you must remember is that we are in a very low income state and our town is small no industry. People have to travel over 30 miles to hit the city. We are farm country here.

So is this just our area or have other notice walmart gouging too.

Well, I've been grocery shopping for 30 years and have never found one store that had lower prices across the board. It has been my experience that if you consistently want the best price, you must use at least 3 grocery stores. I just use the weekly sale papers, and make my lists accordingly. I almost never buy anything that isn't on sale.

That's why I stopped shopping there long ago. Their prices are way higher than elsewhere! Their produce section is awful, rotton food commonplace now. And has anyone noticed how THIN the clothes are!?
ep.gif
I'm pretty much done with them and will probably be making most of my own clothes soon.

I agree and have noticed the same things, I try not to shop there unless I have to..my hubby and I use a certain liquid creamer in our coffee. In Dec.of 2008, Wal Mart price was 1.87, this past June it was up to 2.58, on Jan 3rd I paid 3.28 for it..that is just one item..we have a new super Wal Mart and only have one other grocery store..IGA..the closest other stores are 48 miles one way..

Ah, Wal mart...I call them the company store, like in the movie the grapes of wrath. They drive all of the smaller biz out of your area like a great artisan bread store that actually had flavor to thier bread for thier cheap cardborad flavored bread. then when enough places have gone out of biz, they jack the prices...that is how they operate.

There is a fantastic film free for the download , If I remember it is called "The high cost of the low price".

Less oportunity for people to go work for a better operation that offers more means they make copious amounts of money and offer turn of the century health care or benifits (non existant) and now they wanted you to retire when you have one foot in deaths door, these corporations are richey rich because of it. so much for the golden years. and yet somehow they make it all look so attractive and they pleade poverty, trust me thay make copious amounts of money.

Last edited:
You've got to know your prices no matter where you shop. I've got a little program in my PDA called HandyShopper, I can keep track of prices at all stores I shop in with it. Plus hubby is a walking shopping encyclopedia, he knows prices when he goes shopping - he's almost as good as the PDA
wink.png

my parents always shop at walmart idk about prices of anything but games there but compared to gamestop and EB walmart is a rip off cuz gamestop is cheaper and sometimes has deals with there games like a free strategy guide or an exclusive in game item walmart dos not but my mom always buys my games there

Quote:
Now thats what I need, something on my phone to keep track of things like that, I don't remember from one week to the next what I paid for something.

I don't like walmart anyway! I think I'd just assume take a bullet to the head than step foot inside a walmart. You can NEVER find American made products, they've all but killed any small local businesses, they don't pay or treat their employee's very well, and they may boast lower prices, but at what cost?
a $2.00 shirt made my a 5yr old supporting his entire family? Sure, you may get a deal now... but you pay a higher price in the end... walmart gets all kinds of tax breaks and cash from the gov't. They get money that should go to schools and other wonderful local programs. While outsourcing American jobs. Maybe if we didn't hunger such a great deal, maybe, just maybe there would be no use for little kids being worked to death in forigen countries for a few pennies a day, maybe some jobs would come back to the US. Walmart has had such a negative empact on the world as a whole, and is fueled by greed.

The only groceries I consistently buy at Walmart are bananas, baking supplies like flour and baking powder and the rare box of cold cereal. Pretty much everything else comes from Ingles, especially my meat and produce. I do get all of our toothpaste, tp, shampoo, etc at Walmart.

Back
Top Bottom