Walnut kitty litter... is it safe to use in the coop?

NonnieBuns

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
I'm current using wood shavings because that's all I can easily get around here, but I want to switch to something better for the chickens. I've heard about hemp bedding - rather expensive - coffee bean bedding with the caffeine removed, sand, and pellets. The coffee seemed esky interesting to me, especially after seeing how easy it was for a lady to clean it up, but I've been seeing that it's really hard to get right now. I use walnut shell litter for my cats and it's amazing with controlling the odor and clumping, and I'm wondering if it would be safe to use in the coop. What do you all think?

I use that cat litter and I know the chickens have had access to it because it ends up in the compost heaps, but I don't know if they've messed with it at all. I can't see how it would harm them -- there's a crushed walnut shell litter marketed specifically for aviaries. I don't know if it clumps.

I think that 'Naturally Fresh' walnut litter is the best cat litter. Compostable, no odor, clumps perfectly. And it looks like instant coffee, so you can disturb your guests by saying that it is.

(And it comes in a bag that gets punctured in shipping often enough that I can keep my cat supplied from the bags that are on steep discount 'cause they leaked a handful and have a peice of tape on them.)

I use that cat litter and I know the chickens have had access to it because it ends up in the compost heaps, but I don't know if they've messed with it at all. I can't see how it would harm them -- there's a crushed walnut shell litter marketed specifically for aviaries. I don't know if it clumps.

I think that 'Naturally Fresh' walnut litter is the best cat litter. Compostable, no odor, clumps perfectly. And it looks like instant coffee, so you can disturb your guests by saying that it is.

(And it comes in a bag that gets punctured in shipping often enough that I can keep my cat supplied from the bags that are on steep discount 'cause they leaked a handful and have a peice of tape on them.)
Where are you getting the discounted bags??? I would LOVE to get those, especially if I'm going to start using them in my coop.

My thought process is that I can get 26lbs for $22, whereas the hemp bedding is 30L (6.5-8lbs) for $70 or more. Also that I'm already buying it for my cats, so why buy more stuff if I can avoid it?

@NonnieBuns My local 'Petco' will sometimes have punctured 26lb bags for $3 or $5 each. It's fortunately really convenient for me to stick my nose in there and check on the way home. Sometimes 'Chewy' will have them (undamaged, just on sale) for about half price, so I get four or five to get the free shipping.

I'm current using wood shavings because that's all I can easily get around here, but I want to switch to something better for the chickens. I've heard about hemp bedding - rather expensive - coffee bean bedding with the caffeine removed, sand, and pellets. The coffee seemed esky interesting to me, especially after seeing how easy it was for a lady to clean it up, but I've been seeing that it's really hard to get right now. I use walnut shell litter for my cats and it's amazing with controlling the odor and clumping, and I'm wondering if it would be safe to use in the coop. What do you all think?
Ground walnut shells are micro razors. The shell is very sharp when cracked, even in tiny pieces. I was using the walnut shell litter for the cat and had recurring sinus bleeding from inhaling the dust. Be carefull with that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom