Wandering hen

lmm1025

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I have a 1 year old hen. Just moved to 2 acres a month ago. The girls are free range. They always stay together, but the last 3 days one has not been coming home to sleep or play. She shows up around 1:30 each afternoon, then gone again. I've walked the lot everyday looking for her?? My husband is convinced she's sitting on an egg somewhere, in the woods?? Thoughts?? Suggestions??

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, this sounds exactly what is going on. She has a secret nest somewhere. I would try to find her and her nest. Follow her when she returns home today. You might want to bring this nest back to the coop as she could be taken by predators in the night. If you want her to continue setting on these eggs, you might want to move the nest at night so she is more likely to continue with the incubation process. Give her a quiet darkened corner for her to have privacy. Keep food and water close to the nest box.

Good luck with your flock and we welcome you to our flock!

Last edited:
This is how I've found my hidden nests, every time. See if you can catch your hen and lock her in coop. Don't let them out until around the time you think she disappears again - she may be pacing back and forth and making a clucky clicky noise. After you let them out, see if the wandering hen makes a beeline for somehwere - follow her if she does. You may just find her hidden nest. :)

This is how I've found my hidden nests, every time. See if you can catch your hen and lock her in coop. Don't let them out until around the time you think she disappears again - she may be pacing back and forth and making a clucky clicky noise. After you let them out, see if the wandering hen makes a beeline for somehwere - follow her if she does. You may just find her hidden nest. :)

This is what I had to do, but I did it accidently. I started noticing a drop in the number of eggs I was getting, and one morning I accidently didn't let the hens out until much later in the morning than I usually do. One hen very determinedly walked off in the opposite direction of the others...I followed her thinking she had found a way into the neighbors garden...Nope...she had made herself a little cubby hole under a board and was laying her eggs there. Poor girl was holding it in just so that she could lay in her favorite spot. :) I let her lay one more time, and then gathered the eggs, removed the board, and filled the hole with rocks so that it wasn't comfy for her to lay there again.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X5 sounds like you have a hidden nest somewhere. Chicks Galore3 gave you a great idea on finding the nest.

Eventually a predator will find her. so get her back to the coop. Chicks Galore 3 gave you great advice. Also destroy her hidden nesting place. Good luck in finding the nest.

Back
Top Bottom