Wandering orpingtons

carrieNchip

Chirping
Jul 20, 2013
Gardnerville, NV
So my neighbors feed the quail...
I wanted free range chickens but the neighbor that feeds the ground birds are upset that my chickens are eating the bird food they put out for them.
My question is, is there anyway to discourage my birds from going to my neighbors house to eat?
They get plenty of crumbles and veggies from the garden. What my neighbor has and I do not is trees.
They throw their feed under the trees. I believe that's why they like it there(& of course the quail food).
These are my first birds and (this might sound silly but...) I'd like to know if I can teach them not to "free-range" so far.
Last time I keep them cooped for a week (cause this is the second time the neighbors complained) they got sick. It was during a heat wave 100-105 degrees :(
Anyway, now that they know the food is there, how can I discourage them from going over there?

I'd use a fence
wink.png
But seriously, you will probably have to put up a physical barrier between them and the neighbor if that's their favorite place to go.

welcome-byc.gif

part of being a responsible animal owner--any animal--is confining it to your property. You need to accept responsibility to keep your birds home. Build a run or a fence to prevent them roaming. Since your birds know there is feed there, you'll need something substantial to keep them home, food is a great motivator. Offer your neighbors some eggs as a peace offering.

Back
Top Bottom