Wanna build a coop today, HELP!!!

mrsmartin2001

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Virginia
smile.png
I got some long boards, and some chicken wire, nails, and staples. I also have a shed with 2 sides I could close in to make a place for my chickens, but I am not sure if I should just build something out of what I have or just close in the shed. My rooster and 2 hens like to roost in the trees, and my other hen likes to roost on my pourch on top of a barrel. My other hen I have in a regular cage with her chicks. I want to make something they can get in to stay warm, but since they have there roosting spots picked out, I kinda don't want to mess them up by always closeing them in, like if I closed in my shed. I don't know what to do, I dont know that much about chickens, but i am learning, so if you can give me some ideas and tell me what I should build, and stuff like that I would appriciate it. I want to start on this today.
smile.png

It really depends on how many supplies you have and how much work it will take to close in the shed properly. Sounds like right now, they're pretty vulnerable to predators. Is there any way to post a picture of the shed so we could have a better idea of how to advise you? Do you have a foundation for a brand new coop or enough materials to make one?

All I have is a roll of wire 25X36, I have regular plywood boards that i had laying around here. I dont have any way to put a picture of the side of my shed, but I'd say it's probably 12-13 feet wide, and 8-9 feet tall.

Just a warning/reminder...chicken wire will keep chickens in but it isn't strong enough to keep predators out.

Also check out the countless number of coops that people have posted here on the boards to give you a better idea of what you want to build.

Dawn

Recent personal experience here, a raccoon broke through two layers of poultry wire in my guinea coop. It was unable to get in because there was also welded wire on the outside of that.

Staples are also not a secure fastener unless you screw wood on the outside and sandwich the wire and staples between two pieces of wood. A determined predator, coon again, can pull the biggest staples out.

It sounds like your supplies are limited, so I'd opt for closing in the shed (Thats what I did here).
The shed has a height that will be easy to get in and out of to clean, etc...
And it already has a roof.

The chickens will get used to roosting inside, then they'll love it, and won't want to roost in the trees (which is just asking for predation)

Back
Top Bottom