Want a mixed flock of laying hens?

I have 9 breeds out of 11 chickens. I bought 3 more this year, 2 for more eggs and 1 maran for egg color. They should be be laying in August. Here are my eggs from the current laying.
Rhode Island red, speckled Sussex, 2 EE's, d'uccle(smallest egg), and a dark brahma. My Wyandotte does not lay for whatever reason(shes 1 year 3 months old).
600262c2-f02d-54f8.jpg

600262c2-f1bc-9942.jpg

The more you handle the chicks at a young age, the friendlier they are, except leghorns. Leghorns are skittish.
In the second image, the last egg, although much lighter in color, looks like the size of my barred rock. What kind of chicken laid that? I do adore my barred rocks though. They are very sweet, curious, a lot of personality.

Quote: Originally Posted by Nicole01 I have 9 breeds out of 11 chickens. I bought 3 more this year, 2 for more eggs and 1 maran for egg color. They should be be laying in August. Here are my eggs from the current laying. Rhode Island red, speckled Sussex, 2 EE's, d'uccle(smallest egg), and a dark brahma. My Wyandotte does not lay for whatever reason(shes 1 year 3 months old). The more you handle the chicks at a young age, the friendlier they are, except leghorns. Leghorns are skittish. In the second image, the last egg, although much lighter in color, looks like the size of my barred rock. What kind of chicken laid that? I do adore my barred rocks though. They are very sweet, curious, a lot of personality.

That's my bantam d'uccle. I get 5 eggs a week from her! Her eggs are 1/2 the size of her body!

Last edited:
My buff brahma lays a pinkish tinted egg, medium sized. My barred rocks and australorps are the smallest. The BR are dark, round, and tiny. The australorps are very light in color, long and thin. Its been fun trying to figure out who lays which lol I can always find my comets and leghorns though! One of my australorps is broody now. I'm very excited about the babies. Oh I hope the hatch is successful..
fl.gif

I spend hours in the coop! LOL. I love to watch them lay. I bring my folding chair in the coop to hang out with my hens. My coop is 9ft tall, so there's plenty of room.

My neighbor has a barred rock and she says it's a large egg size. A little smaller then her RIR.

I'm not even sure if my eggs are full sized. My hens are a year old as of March. The EE and RIR eggs tend to be the ones eaten first.

We eat the golden comets eggs first! Big lovely shaped, medium colored eggs....I get two most everyday (two hens) These are very sweet chickens and I think broodiness is very rare. They are also fine in the cold and heat, not timid, but not dominant either. Right now, my two comets are keeping my broody australorp company at night in shed while all the others go to the normal sleeping area. They also used to try to protect me from a somewhat aggressive/dominant NH roo I had. One or both would stay near me and if he came to close, they would chase him away. I guess based on what the original poster requested in a chicken, my best suggestion from my (limited) experience is a golden comet.
woot.gif

Wow!! Such awesome information! Have definitely decidied on EEs and Marans. Don't want Leghorns or Wyandotte...such choices! Will take my time and read every one of your posts with care! Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom