Want low maintenance hen house need advice.

Can you do deep litter w wood floor? Coop is already built but I’m very interested!

You can, though bare earth is preferred. Deep bedding is probably better, otherwise you end up with composted soil (eventually) up against the wood floor, which can trap moisture. Also, deep litter works in part from bacteria moving thru the pile, helping to break things down - those bacteria are naturally present in the soil. The can find their way to your raised coop, floored coop, whatever - and will, eventually, but it takes longer for them to colonize, and then when you remove the freshly composted soil in a year or two, you are taking lots of those microbes back out of the mix.

Can you do deep litter w wood floor? Coop is already built but I’m very interested!

It's possible, but you would have to add moisture and you'd find that the composting action would also eat the wood of the structure. Deep Bedding is better in that situation.

Many people use Deep Bedding in the coop and Deep Litter in the run.

Many people use Deep Bedding in the coop and Deep Litter in the run.
That describes my set up, and it has worked very well for over a year.

I probably was a bit lucky with how everything worked out, as I didn't know much when I started. A good part of the "luck" was the fact that DH built me such a strong, tight coop with lots of ventilation. It stays nice and dry; the humidity is about the same as the outside air all the time.

That describes my set up, and it has worked very well for over a year.

I probably was a bit lucky with how everything worked out, as I didn't know much when I started. A good part of the "luck" was the fact that DH built me such a strong, tight coop with lots of ventilation. It stays nice and dry; the humidity is about the same as the outside air all the time.

*nods*

The coop matters.

As I said in my article, I think that a lot of the problems people have when they complain about Deep Bedding not working are due to either insufficient ventilation or too high a density of chickens in the coop.

I think the combination of poop boards, a dry coop, and my pop door being open 24/7 keeps my bedding clean. I've only had chickens for 3 months, but my bedding is pristine. The girls poop on the boards during the night and leave the coop to do their business otherwise. I might scoop one chunk a week out of the bedding if someone manages to miss the board, but that's it.

I have about 4" deep of 95% coffee bean husks with a tiny bit of pine shavings. I fluff it up with a rake once in a while because my walking on it will compress it some, but that's it for maintenance so far.

Use deep bedding, when you go in to scoop out the PoopBoard every day or 2 just shuffle your feet (with boots on) to fluffy it up every once and a while.

Mine poop on board with PDZ on it, I scoop every day or every other day. No smell if kept clean.
I pickup poops in run or yard daily, 2-3 times to keep me moving and while visiting the hens. This also keeps the Flies down.

"low maintenance" is different for each person. Some don't notice the flies and smell and take everything out 2-3 times a year. Others, like me, Hate flies and with a simple scoop on PDZ poop board every (or other) day plus using a dog pooper scooper with the little rake thing takes no time at all, 5 min while I am checking feed/eggs.... how simple is that ?

I really don't think there is a 'low maintenance' animal.

Work SMARTER not Harder.

Back
Top Bottom