Want more egg colors

BTW. I sell colored eggs to people who want them. I always sell a dozen that weighs at least 24oz, which is the weight of store bought large eggs. The x-large and jumbos help me get the weight up to offset the smaller eggs. I always put the white eggs next to the Marans’ eggs. It makes the Marans eggs look darker.:cool:
8BF3ADE8-76E7-40DB-B0B8-5379AF1E4A12.jpeg

When you said you wanted to add ‘two’ chickens, that was part of my reason for suggesting white leghorns. That would give you two white x-large eggs per day. They rarely take a day off. Most people claim they are skittish but I’ve found that they just don’t want to be petted or picked up. They are the quietest hens I have. Since they have matured into hens I don’t hear them doing the egg laying song anymore. There are plenty of white egg layers to pick from though.
I would have to disagree with you about quiet. My leghorn sings the egg song several times a day, because she usually has at least one false alarm regarding laying. And she sings it for 15-30 minutes before AND after laying an egg. She's my #1 gal for the loudest longest egg song! I don't mind at all, but an urban chickener might not want the noise!

Called my local feed store, tomorrow they will have Olive Eggers, Cucko Marans and Salmon Faverolles.
Next weeks Ameraucana (EE), California Whites and Turkens .
Am thinking of getting the Olive Eggers and California whites, two each.

Last edited:
I almost mentioned California White as an option. Many moons ago I had one. The only thing I can remember about it was that my daughters would carry her around the yard all the time. :D

I almost mentioned California White as an option. Many moons ago I had one. The only thing I can remember about it was that my daughters would carry her around the yard all the time. :D
How loud was she ?
My neighbors are not the most relax people, one is a well know movie star and the other is a cranky couple who complains when fruit and or leafs fall on their property from mine so loud breeds are not an option.

How loud was she ?
My neighbors are not the most relax people, one is a well know movie star and the other is a cranky couple who complains when fruit and or leafs fall on their property from mine so loud breeds are not an option.

Okay, so I just learned how to upload videos to YouTube for the first time ever, just to grace you with THE EGG SONG. Actually in this video you can't even see the chickens but it was a sound off between two birds!

How loud was she ?
I can’t remember much about her. I don’t know if there is a quiet breed of chicken. It’s been my experience that they are all loud as pullets but calm down with their vocals the older they get.

Thanks, did something I have always taught my kids not to do, assumed.
The BO layed her first egg in September so I assumed that with the exception of molting, they would lay throughout the year.
Pullets often lay thru their first winter. Why many some add new chicks every spring.

I always sell a dozen that weighs at least 24oz, which is the weight of store bought large eggs.
I do this too, I call them a pullets 'dozen'.

I can’t remember much about her. I don’t know if there is a quiet breed of chicken. It’s been my experience that they are all loud as pullets but calm down with their vocals the older they get.
Out of my 5, only one can be loud. She loudly tells us when she lays and whenever a snake is spotted. The other four are very quiet, even after laying.

Back
Top Bottom