Want more, want more...isthis normal?

peony07

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Ferndale WA
Well, judging from most of you folk, it is
tongue.png

The 4 chicks we have are a little over a week old. We want to get just two more. Do we have to separate them? For how long? Our current chicks are so sweet, two will already walk into my hand when I put it into the brooder. Will the new ones change the dynamic of the others? I want buffs, already have 2 Amer/1 BR/1BA.

this is totally normal
big_smile.png
. the only problem is.... 6 will NOT be enough. eventually, you will have to have your own incubator, hatcher, and a bigger brooder, then large chicken yards outside.....it never ends.....

wee.gif

LOL I fully agree with lilbreeches! For the past 15 years I've had a small flock of 7 - 10 birds. I've always been happy with my small flock of ladies...all I ever wanted was their fresh eggs so I never bothered with a rooster, and the one time I did, I gave him away because he was mean to my girls.... And then I joined BYC. People were hatching and raising fuzzy butts and making homemade bators and hatching and getting so excited waiting and posting batorcams and all the time my eyes were getting bigger and bigger and then I started stealthily collecting things, hiding styrofoam meat boxes and hydrometers and ripping the fan out of a dead computer...and then I pre-warning my DH that I was going to hatch some eggs and he just laughed....until I told him that he'll be building another chicken coop soon.
lol.png

Normal? What's that?

Quote:
I second that! It will happen before you know it, and there is no way to stop it. lol

Yep, I have already reached this point in just a year! It's a horrible, horrible addiction
celebrate.gif

Yup!! ADDICTION with no cure other than more chicks I have fallen victom to it also It started my son wanted chickens then you ordered ten, you wait make a brooder and wait start building a coop go to the feed store chicks..... chicks.. OMG you have a brooder all ready done with nothing in it
ep.gif
O no !! PLEASEEEs PLEASEEEs Mmommy please can we get TWO U cave in..
love.gif
now your hooked 2 turn into 5 than than you call and up where you order your chicks more more 10 turn into 24
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
the coop gets bigger Than they are differant ages you need smaller coops Rabbit hutch PRRRfect you look on craiglist
caf.gif
"BINGO" you find one for free
ya.gif
Yaaaaay it turns into a small coop and then the five move in! here comes the
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
Chicks into your brooder and suddenly their ready to move out but..but.. the coop
barnie.gif
isn't quit ready Mmmm ???? I'll build a small one
clap.gif
out of culled wood from Home Depot 4X6.. so you do, then the 24 move in Intergrade
pop.gif
chicks with older chick.. spilt the the yard in half they mingle in the day go to each Pad at night for about 3 weeks than one night when the coop is done
celebrate.gif
you put them all in the new coop you go to bed worry worry
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
all night you get up open the door they all run out relief.. there all good
thumbsup.gif
(you worried for nothing)and one big happy flock.
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
SPRING is coming you start all over, we just order 30 more chicks this spring that will arrive at about 3 weeks apart 1st order in May
celebrate.gif
ya.gif

Yes, this is a horrible addiction to be afflicted with. I keep thinking "I could probably fit just another one or two - breeds I don't have already..." I am considering going into hiding because I may have more clucks than I'm allowed...maybe...not admitting I do for sure...pleading the 5th.

Back
Top Bottom