Want my cake and eat it too

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
I would like to have a broody hen hatch a few eggs ...and I'd like to raise friendly little chicks. I'm told that this doesn't work 'cause momma will try to keep me away from them.

Has anyone had any success here?
idunno.gif

The broody hatched chicks if you let her raise them will not be as friendly as incubated chicks that you have to be around all the time...I've done both....

McGoo, thats a good question. I really look forward to my broody taking care of the chicks and teaching them all kinds of things, making them superior to chicks raised by us in a brooder. Once they are feathered out and she starts a new laying cycle...she won't have anything to do with them. She will peck them and teach them it's time to grow up on your own....then you can easily handle young ones by picking them up , holding their wings to their bodys til they calm down and realize it's ok. Do this often for a while and will be normal practice for both you and the flock, creating a tame enviornment for all.

bigzio

Bigzio, Thanks. That's helpful. I love the idea of them learning to be chickens from a momma chicken, but I reeeally want a few friendly gals. I don't have terribly friendly birds right now and I am envious of people who talk about their chicken hopping up on their laps, etc.

thank you for that good advice, that's what I'll do -- I was worrying about how to "socialize" these baby chicks when mama-banty-hen wouldn't let me touch her or the chicks -- I'm a newbie here learning everything I can

will have to hand over the care of the chickens to the tenant in a couple of weeks, want to make it as easy for her as possible (she likes "pet chickens" not wild ones ... )

will be finding new homes for the mostly-grown cockerels and the lovely roo ... darn I hate to see him go ... but there are other wild chickens here I can adopt when we settle here full time

sure hope the blondie broody hen hatches out her clutch before we leave ... not sure but think today was Day 6

C

I like self sufficient chickens myself. Its just better for me to know that they dont NEED me to survive. Only to live comfortably. i keep a couple of pets, like the hen I'm trying to coax into sitting, and my project cornishx roo on a diet.

What would happen if you just removed the chicks from the hen after they've hatched and put them in a brooder??

bdjay,
I'm sure they'd survive, but what's the point... let nature take it's course. Momma will keep them warm, teach them to be a chicken, and protect them from the other chickens and predators. That's really the reason that I want to do this - make it really natural vs using a bator.

Back
Top Bottom