Want olive eggs, what should I match up???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bargain, Nov 4, 2009.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Ok
    These are the selections I have that I think will be best for the project

Black Copper Marans all feathered feet
    Welsummers
    Black Americaunas & Splash and Blue
    Orpingtons - wide variety
    BBS Cochins

Down the road a bit will also have some Wheatans

What should the rooster be?
    What should the hens be?

Thanks for your advice.....

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    oohhh i swear i was about to post a similar topic.. i'll sit back and see if you get my right answer... lol....

i have no dark brown eggers right now at all.. i have an EE who's laying gorgeous almost olive eggs... i was wondering if i should get her a dk brown roo, or if the roo has to be the green egg contributor...

and is there a difference between the welsummers and the marans as far as this combo is concerned?? is one better?

3. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I am working on the same project.I would breed one of the ameraucana roo's to some BCM hens.Then keep the peacombed chicks for your green eggers.The straight comb chicks will most likely not throw olive eggs. [​IMG] Hope you get some great looking olive green eggs.I love them and I am waiting on some myself.If yo do not have a ameraucana or EEer roo of age I have a extra just let me know.
    Thanks, James

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am also going to be working on this! I will have a black ameraucana over Blue Copper Marans, Black Copper Marans, and Wellsummers. Good Luck!

Henry

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    To get an olive egg layer you need to breed a dark egg layer (Welsummer or Maran) with a blue egg roo (true, pure bred Araucana or Ameraucana). A blue egg gene and a dark egg gene will produce an olive egg. [​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    At the moment I have a black ameraucana roo over two welsummers. He's still young, so none of their eggs are fertile yet. I'm hoping to start hatching some this spring though which would get me olive eggs next summer sometime. I'm thinking all the crosses would be black EEs. I get a little spazed out on the chicken calculator though, so it's possible something else would leak through featherwise. Theoretically all from this match would be olive eggers (and hopefully olive eggs with speckles as both girls lay dark speckled eggs). Stay tuned. I'm sure the minute I get an olive egger laying I will post a kazillion pictures. [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    LOL
    I just put a cuckoo Marans pullet in with one of my Araucana flocks. At first I thought it would just be neat because she never has developed a tail but she does have the vertebrae that the Araucanas don't. Now I am thinking those chicks would be really cool if I was to hatch some out. Since I keep adding to the incubator right now anyhow, I guess I will give it a try once she is clean of the other roo's.... er...uh, you know.
    I was going to hatch some Olive Eggers out next spring anyhow. Some of those eggs are marvelous in color! Lucky me will probably get all roos.[​IMG]

8. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Smart move! If you're putting a solid Araucana with a cuckoo pullet, then you will get sex linked babies. You'll know right away if you get all roos or not!

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Oh yes, she is in with the one on my avatar. I have 4 other Araucana roos that I could try for pretty mixed colors. But this gentleman had the least amount of hens right now. He was thrilled to have another wife and I am hoping to be able to sex link so I know what to do with all those little boys that happen to appear in my brooders. [​IMG]

This should be an interesting combination.[​IMG]

10. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Is that a white roo in your avatar? I don't know much about white genetics, but I think if the white is dominant you may not see the barring. Or maybe the chicks still show it... I'm not an expert by any means.

I was planning on putting a splash ameraucana roo over my cuckoo marans someday to create blue sex linked olive eggers. Someday when I can get a roo....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by