Want to add a rooster to my flock - need some advice

^^^^ He looks lovely. Hope he works out for you :) He is the same age about as my guy so I will be curious if you have similar experiences re. his being inept in the romance dept.
smile.png

I have a 1 and a 1/2 yr old rooster.would anybody be interested to adopt him.he is very cute and loving

Well I returned Rocky to his previous owner this morning! And about an hour ago I went and picked up the Roo from the craigslist ad in my previous post. I haven't decided what to name him yet, but he is now between 14 and 15 weeks old. It was/is storming pretty bad so this is the only pic I have so far of him, but once the rain stops I'll be sure to get a few more. Any name suggestions?

Zebra? Haha he looks very zebraish

Well I returned Rocky to his previous owner this morning! And about an hour ago I went and picked up the Roo from the craigslist ad in my previous post. I haven't decided what to name him yet, but he is now between 14 and 15 weeks old. It was/is storming pretty bad so this is the only pic I have so far of him, but once the rain stops I'll be sure to get a few more. Any name suggestions?

Barney?? Crow-Bar?? Stinson?? ( Barney on How I Met Your Mother"s last name) Fife??

I found today that the new rooster I put with my flock is not being allowed to get to the water. They let him eat but not drink. I pulled out some old chick waterers and put then in the pen so now there are three to drink from. Teenage girls can be so mean.

I have lost 4 girls just this summer to a raccoon & a hawk. I've just purchaced 1 GLW cockerel born 3/15 and while there I brought home 1 Columbian Wyandotte His age) and 2 Cochin born 5/18/12 THAT I'VE PURCHACED 6/4/13 THAT HAVE NOT LAID AN EGG YET. The seller from BYC Humphreyfarms
smack.gif
claimed they laid eggs 3-4 xs per seek for 1 and 4-5 for the other. There's NO way there in the woods (pen & tractor all the one them) One nest box has hay the other has shavings. They EAT oyster shells and their feed. We've even put up some night vision video camera's from my son's friend. He uses them for finding deer at night.. So there's no egg eating weasel or such. There's no egg shell's laying around. There super easy to train, but it's like she sold me her grandma's!!! W/ respect, what would you do other than tv dinners of them come fall? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________ NOW THE COCKEREL- when I tried to put them w/ my girls (they were free ranging at that time) a fight broke out w/ 3 of my girls and him (he's bigger than them) that lasted 15 min. That was a few week's ago. So now, I need to get them together again. Should I of let the fight continue? Now I am penning them side by side, so how long before I open up the gate? Does anyone else shop at Tractor Supply and end up w/ more males than females? I for one am pretty upset w/ what I have ended up with !
somad.gif

I found today that the new rooster I put with my flock is not being allowed to get to the water. They let him eat but not drink. I pulled out some old chick waterers and put then in the pen so now there are three to drink from. Teenage girls can be so mean.
Agreed! My hens wont even let my new roo to sleep inside! I came home from work last night to find all my girls inside on their roosts and him sleeping on a roost outside in the run. . . .and it was raining! Poor little guy, I picked him up and set him inside the coop on a lower roost than my girls were on just to get him out of the elements.

Mine finally let him in the coop but they sleep on the roosting bar and he sleeps on top of a nesting box on the other side.

Mine finally let him in the coop but they sleep on the roosting bar and he sleeps on top of a nesting box on the other side.
mine does that too and every night I move him and his same size girl friend back to the roosts. The Big girls would forgo the higher roosts just so they could be close enough to peck at the new guy and gal, but it's better now. If you can catch your mean girls in the act you can give them a flick and a "No!" like an adult roo would do during a spat...well he wouldn't say "No" but he would do the rooster equivalent. I read that somewhere on here tried it and it seemed to work

I actually really like the name Crow-Bar! Sounds cool and fits his gender and breed! thanks for the idea tommysgirl
Glad you liked it :)

Back
Top Bottom