Want to add a silkie

Dion17

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2017
North Idaho
Thinking about adding a silkie to my flock. Next month i will be adding 5 more chicks to my very small flock (2 Copper Marans) both 1yr old. Just wondering if i might have problems with her getting picked on being the only silkie? I plan on introducing the new birds slowly like i have read. Also live in northern Idaho so winters are cold and long. I don’t heat my coop at all, will i have problems with cold for the silkie?

It depends if you are planning on getting other bantams. Silkies are small and they are a bit different and do better with their own kind or with other small, mild mannered bantams. Also, if they have vaulted skulls they are more at risk if they get pecked on the head.

I would not get a single silkie, especially if you have a flock of larger fowl.... not so bad if you have bantams... but they often get picked on because they look so different and she will find it hard to integrate on her own and I doubt the Marans will pall up with her.
Much better to wait until you can afford to get 2 or 3 and ideally give them a separate pen from the main flock.
If your flock free ranges you are more likely to get away with keeping them in a mixed flock but I don't think it is fair on them to just get one.

Back
Top Bottom