Want to build some breeder cages...got ?'s

swheat

The Bantam Barn
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
Maybe someone here has already built some to these. I am going to salvage some cages I have around here that I am not using to make some breeder cages. I plan making them 2 X 10 feet, with 9 individual pens that are 13" wide X 20" deep. I want these to have sloped floors for egg roll out. Would a 2 inch slope for 20 inches be suitable ? or is that too much ?
If I have enough wire I may make this a doubledecker to save space and have catch trays under top level.

Quote:
what are you planning on having in a 13X20" cage ? if you're planning on Coturnix i would strongly suggest that you AT LEAST DOUBLE the size of that to 26" X 20" and then only put a MAX of 3-4 birds in there. STANDARD rule of thumb for space alotment is 1 square foot/12 square inches for each bird.

I was only going by the GQF breeder cage dimensions...thanks for the advice
I am planning on having Bobs and Corturnix.

Quote:
sure ,not a problem. i don't know requirements for BW. just the coturnix. I have found that generally speaking, they like to have a ratio of 1 rooster to at least 3 hens but better 1roo /5 hens.The roos can be HARD on a hen and several together gives relief to the hens.....

Back
Top Bottom