Want to buy a GPS but what kind?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Sep 18, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I always say I could get lost in a paper bag LOL and that's no lie. I'd like to buy a GPS but I know absolutely nothing about them, other than the ones I've checked out on EBAY. I don't know what's a good brand/price and what's not so I need your help.

I want one without bells and whistles - no MP3, bluetooth, etc. Just one that tells you how to get from point A to point B and can reconfigure if I make a wrong turn, and I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars. Any suggestions?

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Almost all of them will get you from point a to point b. You will need to update occasionally,but I have had mine for 2 years and it still is basically correct. You start having problems when there is alot of construction in the city, ect.
    Also, they are only as good as the maps they download, many have roads that are no longer there ect.
    They are not always trustworthy....you have to have a sense of humour at times!

3. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 250 (or 205?) at BestBuy for about $100. It doesn't tell me (out loud) the name of the street to turn on (but has in text on face), it doesn't tell me about traffic, but it works great. Does have Bluetooth, but at $100 I don't know that you could get much cheaper.

Its ability to tell me what Indian Restaurants are along my route IS terribly important. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Do you have a cell phone? If so, check with your carrier to see if they have a navigation feature for your phone. I know that AT&T and Verizon each have a good navigation program that gives you turn by turn voice directions right from your phone and the programs are supposed to be very good for a small monthly fee.

But, my friend just bought a Garmin 260 from Amazon.com for $149 and is overjoyed with it.

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks! I was looking at the Garmin Nuvi 250 on Ebay but wasn't sure. My cell is a work phone (I don't pay for it but have to have it on 24/7) and am not allowed texting so GPS is out of the question. I've heard good things about Tom Tom too but have never seen it in action. Did see the Garmin though and liked what I saw.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    We have two Garmin GPS units; we've had them for about five years (just update the maps). The Garmin brand is excellent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by