Want to can... a little intimidated!

Excellent reminder, Zookeeper!

I do wash everything in the dishwasher and leave it closed. When I am ready to can everything is on the dry heat cycle and nearly too hot to touch.

Saves a ton of work and time in prepping everything.

Quote:
I use a crock to put the cabbage and salt in to make the sauerkraut. However, others have used jars. It basically needs to be a clean container large enough to hold the cabbage while it ferments.

--remove the outer leaves from the cabbage
--shred the remainder of the cabbage very, very thin. When your shredded cabbage weight five lbs., put in in the crock and sprinkle 3 tablespoons of pure granualted salt. Even if I make more than 5 lbs, I stop at this point and take a wooden block or something similar and push the salted cabbage down making as much juice as possible. When the cabbage has wilted somewhat and the juice is covering the cabbage, I add more.

I then put a plate that is just slightly smaller in diameter than the crock, and a weight on top of the plate. The weight just needs to be an object that is heavy enough to keep the plate pushed down on the kraut. Typically, I clean a brick and use it. Cover with a clean cloth and let ferment.

Once the juice starts making bubbles, skim that part off each day. The kraut should ferment for about 3 weeks. The amount of time it takes sometimes depends on the temperature where it is kept.

After fermentation is complete, pack in hot, sterilized jars and process in a water bath (15 min for pints; 20 for quarts).

I think the most important things are to get the salt ratio correct and making the cabbage think enough.

Hope this works for you.

Deb

Thanks for sharing. I think we'll give it a try again this year. Didn't get it right last year.

Quote:
It's easier to wipe off the jars right away, with just a damp rag. I've never had that much trouble with it, and I thought we had pretty hard water. Otherwise (you might have much harder water than I've dealt with) I'd think adding a little vinegar to the water bath would work. Maybe 1/2 C. to the pot?

I use a little white vinegar in the water too or else I will have a white dust all over the jars. The book that comes with the pressure canner tells you to do that too. I don't measure it, I just pour a little in, maybe 1/4 cup if that.

Thanks paisleycj and palabeco I'll try that this year, I go thru gallons and gallons of white vingar trying to keep the mineral build up from eating my kitchen and bath, our water tastes great but it is hard, oh well....

Definitely get the funnel. It cost less than $2 and makes putting stuff in the jars SO much easier!!

Also, my dad has an outdoor 2-burner stove that we use so we can can outside and then there's no worry about the mess that always happens.

Can you can? You can!
lol.png
tongue.png

Great advice, guys! I'm learning some new stuff, too!

Anyone have a good recipe for strawberry jam?

I just picked up a used water bath canner the other day. When I told my Mom about it she said to go out and buy one of the canning tool kits. With the funnel, jar lifter, etc. They're worth it.

Back
Top Bottom