Want to can... a little intimidated!

I grew up on a farm, and grew up canning. One of the things I haven't seen mentioned is to NOT use mayonaise or other plain glass jars for canning. They aren't thick enough to stand up to the temperature changes. Broken glass and hot tomato sauce is not good!

Also, we've always had great results using the 'Ball' cookbook. Lots of recipes and step by step instructions. Most hardware stores have them, right next to the canning jars.

I've always used a waterbath canner. Tried and true, simple to use. I've also got a couple of pressure cookers. There's nothing like a pressure cooker to tenderize those tough old hens. Canning chicken is a bit of work, but very worth it. Follow the directions and you'll be fine.

Don't use the Ball Books regular Dill Pickle recipe. Not fit for human consumption (i.e. FAR TOO SALTY and SOUR). Most everything else is good in there, though. Just my 2 cents.
smile.png

Good luck canning! I love it!

Here's a tip for starting canning:

If you have Big Lots, they often (but not always) sell canning jars and the separate boxes of lids and seals. Also, I see jars on Freecycle often. Since the jars are the most expensive starting cost -- unless you're buying a pressure cooker -- it makes sense to get them as inexpensively as possible.

I have quite a collection of the bands and seals...some of them are really pretty and I hate to use them! :)

Have FUN! When it's the middle of winter and you open a jar of your very own homemade blueberry jam...well, it's like opening a jar of summer!

Quote:
Would you share your instructions for sauerkraut? I haven't had any success yet.

I use a hot water bath. I use a big pot with a round rack in the bottom (from who knows what). I taught myself with the Ball Blue book. A friend told me to use it because the directions were current and safe. Haven't had a problem in the 5 years I've been canning. I always use the lids and seals.

I was afraid of those same concerns at first too and I was going to suggest the same book you have..and a PRESSURE canner..more safe. I only can veggies, I am terrified still to can meats. The temperature on your pressure gauge and thr proper seal (when they pop) on your jars (course making sure they are sterilized first too) are the keys. I learned about 7 years ago and we eat canned salsa all the time that I made and ..so...far...so good. I like canning better than freezing becasue it isn't power dependent..plus there is something very comforting and self-sufficient feeling about haveing jars of food in your pantry!!! One year I made baskets with chips, salsa, some cheeses, cheese cutting boards...and gave those for Christmas..big hit. Good luck..you obvioulsy will have alot of help here as it seems canning is quite popular from the number of responses you got to this post, lol!!
smile.png

Scrambled Egg--I can meat alot. Its not any harder than ganning beans. All I do is cut the meat into chunks, put the meat in water and bring the water to a boil and then I pack it in hot jars and add the liquid and process. When ever I can chicken (boneless), after the chicken is done I start filling the jars with the chicken broth and can it, much better than store bought. I havent' canned any beef broth but I have canned beef and pork also. You will never regret canned meat. YUMMY! And if you like chicken salad OH, man, its good made with home canned chicken. Try it. It's listed in the ball canning book.

Now, if you use the bone-in chicken you have to make sure you get all the bone, fat and skin out before you can it.

Thanks, thechickcrew. I will try the canned chicken thing this year. I usually only freeze meat, but I like to preserve food in multiple ways. I love chicken salad and the broth idea is great, too.

A water bath or a steam canner is only good for high sugar/acidic type foods - jams, jellies, tomatoes, picles etc.

If you want to can and preserve other vegetables you MUST use a pressure canner. You can't fudge on it. You have to use a pressure canner otherwise you are canning food poinsoning and deadly bacteria.

Now with that said don't be intimidated.

Start small and get used to the idea of canning when you try. Do a simply jam or jelly first.

Also when you buy a pressure canner buy the best you can afford. This is one piece that will last you your entire life. Seriously.

All American is the best there is on the market. It is an investment and one that pays off after 1 season of canning veggies. you can even can your own stocks or chicken!

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/americancans.htm

You might want to start with a 22 qt. It will hold 1/2 gallon sized jars.

If you feel like you are in over your head - call your neighbors! They know what they are doing!

FYI..I did use a water bath canner for green beans one time, it works, you just have to process them for a really long time..like 2 hours for pints.

Quote:
It may have worked that time but it isn't safe. 2 hours and those beans are cooked past done.

Food poisoning bacteria hide unseen. You often don't know until yo have consumed something that was bad. Usually in canning a bad jar will bubble or foam and the lid blows when it gets a chance. But often it lurks, waiting innocently. Food poisoning is serious and can deadly to older people and children.

It is not a risk a beginner wants to take.

Back
Top Bottom