1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

want to feed non-commercial feed. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Misfit Farm, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Misfit Farm

Misfit Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2007
    Reno, NV
    I have been feeding Layena and I would really like to get away from Commercial/processed feed. Is anyone mixing their own feed? If so what are you feeding?

Jen

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My local feed store buys grain from local farmers and grinds their own, so I don't have to put up with too much commercial mixing and can even have my feeds special mixed if so desired. I usually just use a mix of laying mash, whole wheat, oats, black oil sunflower seeds and just a smidge of cracked corn. I've found in the past few years that my birds are reluctant to eat the corn....from this I can only surmise that the local farmers have moved into the age of GMO seed crops. [​IMG]

In the winter I'll add a little alfalfa pellets to that mix. I also add oyster shells at times, particularly in the spring peak.

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Use the search function, it will reveal a yriead discussions on your topic.

4. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    A decent home mix should have a wide range of grains, some low-toxin legumes (e.g. cooked soy, peas, alfalfa) in careful quantities, oilseeds like sunflower, b-vitamin supplements like yeast or soured milk (the latter also good for methionine), and fresh greens. It's not easy to get right, especially at first, as there are big temptations to go for cheap rather than better ingredients. Sprouted grains are usually better than whole (vitamins more available).

I've done a fair bit of experimenting with home mixes, and have also made some big mistakes (like using sweet lupins instead of soy). I think if I'd gone for whole cooked soybeans I would have been just fine, as I added kefir (soured milk) for methionine, and growth was pretty good overall. My birds are penned so every aspect of the home mix is crucial; with free range it's a lot easier.

Overall I'd say do it, but don't be tempted to ignore advice on inclusion levels for things like alfalfa, sunflower, peas etc, and do keep an eye on the birds (and particularly on their laying, which is usually the first thing to alter when there's a problem).

cheers, and good luck
    Erica

5. Misfit Farm

Misfit Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2007
    Reno, NV
    I would really like to avoid Soy. For Alfalfa can I use alfalfa pellets? I also plan on starting to grow meal worms for them.

Jen

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep, you can. Some folks say chopped alfalfa is more to their liking. I know they don't often clean up my alfalfa pellets in the winter...but then, my gals free range all year, so when the grass is showing, they get their own greens.

7. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Quote:Thanks for the link. I never knew that was on here [​IMG]

8. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Quote:Yep. All of this.

It's an admirable goal, but please proceed with caution. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by