want to get a friend for my pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mulelover1999, Oct 10, 2013.

1. mulelover1999

mulelover1999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2012
    I had a female gadwall that recently disappeared and now my pekin duck is alone. Over the past month she has increasingly gotten louder and is hanging out with my chickens which isn't a problem its just that she needs to be with other ducks. I don't want to get rid of her but she is being to noisy. Since this is the time people are getting rid of ducks I want to get another one for her so I want to know if a male or female would be better. Please let me know which one is going to be better for my female pekin.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you keep the ducks and chickens together I'd go with a female, only because drakes are known to try an breed chicken hens and it won't be a good out come for the hen. Sorry about losing the gadwell maybe she flew off since it is migration time of year.

3. mikeru

mikeru Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    They are social birds and need companionship, I had the same problem and I usually rescue pekins,but I tried efowl .com and got 2 3day old chicks, I find the males to aggressive. they need about 7 females ,so i have 3 females, now 2 as one was killed by a racoon sadly on sat nt
    I love ducks they are very smart and responsive .

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry for your loss, do you lock them up at night, about the only way to keep predators form eating our flocks

and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by