Want to get ducks, Never had them before!

Scottyhorse

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 26, 2012
Eastern Wa
Hi there! We live on a small farm, with horses, chickens, goats, cats, dogs, guinea pigs.... I want to get 2 or 3 ducks. They don't have to lay eggs, they don't have to give meat. They would be just for pets. What breed would be best? I would like ones that would eat out of our hands, and would let me pet them. I don't need to be able to hold them, either. They just need to be tame enough to be around. I mean, if they like being held, great!!! It might be fun to do 4-H with them too! I've heard drake are friendliest, but I think it would be cool to get a pair or trio that would breed, so we could sell the babies. But I don't care! I just think that ducklings are super cute
love.gif
Whatever is best for the ducks.

The breed I don't want is a Muscovy, I just don't like the looks.

Also, since I have never had ducks before, what do they need? Our chickens free range, so I suppose the ducks would too. But maybe not, because they can't go into the horse trough!
What kind of food, etc...

Thanks!!!!!!
wee.gif

1. None of the breeds really enjoy or allow for petting. The exception for me personally would be Muscovies but you have stated you do not want one. Of course certain specimens will be friendlier especially ones that have imprinted. They really do enjoy having a water source like a kiddie pool available. Also they are very messy creatures.

1. None of the breeds really enjoy or allow for petting. The exception for me personally would be Muscovies but you have stated you do not want one. Of course certain specimens will be friendlier especially ones that have imprinted. They really do enjoy having a water source like a kiddie pool available. Also they are very messy creatures.

We would give them something to swim in. And, we have goats and all that, they are really messy too! I would handle them a lot when they are babies.

Will they be free ranging with your hens? If so you are going to want to be VERY careful that your drake does not try to breed your hens. It can be fatal.

Hi there! Again... My khaki campbells (as you know) were very friendly, and would have been more so if we handled them more. I read runners can be pretty nice. And I was about to start 4h when mine died, I'm pretty sure the judges want them to be calm while handling, and that sort of stuff. You can do showmanship, where you are judged on how you show them, what you feed them, how you get them ready, etc... but there are also shows that focus on the duck itself, body conformation, feathers... I have heard that if a duck imprints on you though, they can get pretty snuggly. Also I advise you, if your dog is like mine do NOT free-range when you are not home, your neighbors dog might come and think a duck might taste better than horse apples and attack them, and the ending might not be as lucky as mine was. By the way my golden doodle has training smarts, learns very quickly, has no common sense (I think he lost that when he ran into my dad's truck), and is a little weanie. I doubt many dogs are like mine though, and I love him sooo much, first pet I had (other than goldfish) I hope you can get some! They will bring even more giggles to add to the ones you get from your goats! And sorry about the paragraph, it will just not separate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!grrrrrrr

Check out the Duck Stickies.

I have around 35-ish ducks (with more on the way!) Muscovys, Calls, Rouens, Pekins, Khaki Campbell, Runner, Magpie, Swedish, Buff Orpingtons, and a couple mixes make up my flock. They free range all day, every day (unless I'm not home) I feed them layer pellets and whole oats. Plus they get any extra produce or left overs, and what ever they find while foraging around. All of my ducks are quite friendly and love attention and did I mention treats, they love treats! ; )

I started out with three ducks in September 2011....now look at me, a duck-a-holic! Here is a brief description of some of my duck breeds~

Buff Orpingtons - Excellent foragers, a wee bit on the shy side, good layers, great all around duck.

Calls - What can I say? They're adorable! They can fly very well, and in the mornings when they are released from their pen they take to the skies! They are very noisy and shouldn't be kept if you have neighbors close by. I can hear my females calling inside the house, night and day.

Muscovy - Quite, great personality, good flyers, great bug catchers. I thought I wouldn't like them either, but I've total changed my view of them. I am looking forward to having a large flock of them! Mine are not grown so I cannot say how well they lay and such, but I hear they are great layers and love to go broody.

Khaki Campbell - I only have one KC girl and she is very shy and does not like to come near me at all. One of the best layers on the place and great forager.

Rouens - I have 3 Rouen girls and they are all as sweet as can be. They are fantastic foragers and half the time instead of eating with everyone else they go running off chasing a bug along with the Runners! Good layers and a perfect breed if you ask me for any farm.

Hope I have answered a few of your questions.

~ Aspen

Also, they need water available all day long!!! They need to be able to submerge their eyes an nostrils to be able to clean themselves, and since you will have something for them to swim in that will not be a problem. I think, to prevent a drake from breeding your hens, you just need the right amount of ducks. Ducks and goats... that will be funny!
big_smile.png

P.S. I love your avatar!

Last edited:
Check out the Duck Stickies.

I have around 35-ish ducks (with more on the way!) Muscovys, Calls, Rouens, Pekins, Khaki Campbell, Runner, Magpie, Swedish, Buff Orpingtons, and a couple mixes make up my flock. They free range all day, every day (unless I'm not home) I feed them layer pellets and whole oats. Plus they get any extra produce or left overs, and what ever they find while foraging around. All of my ducks are quite friendly and love attention and did I mention treats, they love treats! ; )

I started out with three ducks in September 2011....now look at me, a duck-a-holic! Here is a brief description of some of my duck breeds~

Buff Orpingtons - Excellent foragers, a wee bit on the shy side, good layers, great all around duck.

Calls - What can I say? They're adorable! They can fly very well, and in the mornings when they are released from their pen they take to the skies! They are very noisy and shouldn't be kept if you have neighbors close by. I can hear my females calling inside the house, night and day.

Muscovy - Quite, great personality, good flyers, great bug catchers. I thought I wouldn't like them either, but I've total changed my view of them. I am looking forward to having a large flock of them! Mine are not grown so I cannot say how well they lay and such, but I hear they are great layers and love to go broody.

Khaki Campbell - I only have one KC girl and she is very shy and does not like to come near me at all. One of the best layers on the place and great forager.

Rouens - I have 3 Rouen girls and they are all as sweet as can be. They are fantastic foragers and half the time instead of eating with everyone else they go running off chasing a bug along with the Runners! Good layers and a perfect breed if you ask me for any farm.

Hope I have answered a few of your questions.

~ Aspen

Thanks so much! It's great to hear this kind of stuff from an actual person, and not a website! This really helps! What do you think about your Swedish and Runners?

Hi there! Again... My khaki campbells (as you know) were very friendly, and would have been more so if we handled them more. I read runners can be pretty nice. And I was about to start 4h when mine died, I'm pretty sure the judges want them to be calm while handling, and that sort of stuff. You can do showmanship, where you are judged on how you show them, what you feed them, how you get them ready, etc... but there are also shows that focus on the duck itself, body conformation, feathers... I have heard that if a duck imprints on you though, they can get pretty snuggly. Also I advise you, if your dog is like mine do NOT free-range when you are not home, your neighbors dog might come and think a duck might taste better than horse apples and attack them, and the ending might not be as lucky as mine was. By the way my golden doodle has training smarts, learns very quickly, has no common sense (I think he lost that when he ran into my dad's truck), and is a little weanie. I doubt many dogs are like mine though, and I love him sooo much, first pet I had (other than goldfish) I hope you can get some! They will bring even more giggles to add to the ones you get from your goats! And sorry about the paragraph, it will just not separate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!grrrrrrr
We don't have any neighbors, and our dogs could care less about the chickens, so they would be okay. But if they hear Coyotes, they'll bark and the coyotes will go away.

Back
Top Bottom