Want to get geese but not sure what type

Emden Geese are the best for meat.Also Talouse.
thumbsup.gif

I have Sebastopols, Dewlap Toulouse, Toulouse, and Pilgrims. I had Chinese, but they were really noisy. Both my dewlap toulouse and sebastopols are quiet, friendly and very kind. BUT....both the dewlap toulouse and the sebastopol have very limited breeding seasons and the eggs can be difficult to hatch. Sebastopols are medium sized....around 10-12 pounds and Dewlap Toulouse are much heavier, males can be 30 pounds or more.

Both the dewlap toulouse and the sebastopols are expensive and can be hard to find, but I love them both. They seem to imprint very easily and I've kept my flock together in the summer and all of my males and females of both breeds have gotten along together just fine. No signs of aggression to people or each other.

I have no idea about taste because I cannot imagine eating them. They are more valuable as adult birds. I find my regular toulouse geese are a bit louder and smaller, but they are nice enough and are less rare, so they are less expensive, but, again, for eating, I don't know.

Please feel free to contact me with any specific questions if you are interested in either the Dewlap Toulouse of Sebastopols. I am, by far, not the most experienced in these breeds, but I am happy to help in any way I can.

PS...I raised the female Sebastopol (Samantha) who is now at Cripple Creek with Chris. I got her as a day old. She came from Tennessee. I have her sister and brother still here at home.

I have white Chinese and Brown Chinese and love them both. They are very social and do a great job weeding my veggie garden.

I currently have Brown Chinese eggs and will be willing to ship all 6 for $20 paypal.

Please let me know if you are interested by a pm. Thanks.

Photos below

We have had African, and have Embden and Toulose right now.

The Africans were the most friendly but they were the loudest birds we have ever owned, they would start honking if the wind would blow.

The Embden's are great meat geese, large over all, somewhat standoff -ish

The Toulose are just a touch smaller than the Embden, but also a good meat goose., more friendly than the Embdens

One thing about geese is they are social birds, ours have paired up into mating groups and they stick together. They are by far the smartest of any birds we have. If you get them as goslings they will imprint on you and you can make them as friendly as you want. They will always have a place on our farm.

Steve in NC

I have American Buffs and American Blues and I just love them. If I add another breed, it will be the Toulouse, they are so sweet and mellow also.

Back
Top Bottom