Want to get guineas but don’t know if we can contain

Barred34

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2022
Hello. I am new to byc and I have a question. I am looking to buy guineas but I am not sure if we can contain them. I’m worried if they would fly around and cause havoc in the neighborhood. Would guineas do this? Also more info on guineas would be great 😁

Hello. I am new to byc and I have a question. I am looking to buy guineas but I am not sure if we can contain them. I’m worried if they would fly around and cause havoc in the neighborhood. Would guineas do this? Also more info on guineas would be great 😁
Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts by @PeepsCA .
If you are on a small parcel, worrying about containing the guineas is the least of your problems. The racket they can make can be a big issue.

The only way to truly contain guineas is inside of a closed pen with flight netting over the top.

Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts by @PeepsCA .
If you are on a small parcel, worrying about containing the guineas is the least of your problems. The racket they can make can be a big issue.

The only way to truly contain guineas is inside of a closed pen with flight netting over the top.
We are keeping a rooster and there is no problem so noise is least of my concern

Hi Barred and :welcome !!! A group of guineas is called a Confusion, and Havoc is their middle name! How much property do you have and how close are your neighbors? We are on 10 acres and have to semi-confine our guineas and work at it to keep them here. One of my neighbors put up a huge wrought iron fence when our guineas decided to explore their yard! Guineas are also very prone to explore and forage along roads, but are too dumb to avoid getting hit. I told my hubby that I wanted to buy 40 acres so I could better keep our guineas happy…:gig

We live on a farm, and years ago some neighbors down the road had some guineas. They can travel quite a ways, and were often in our yard and barns. They also roamed across the state road we live on and onto a county road where they were kind of a nuisance to people driving if they were in the road.
That being said, I’ve been saying we need some guineas around with as many ticks as we are getting this summer.

I’m worried if they would fly around and cause havoc in the neighborhood
Guineas spend 96% or more of their daylight time on the ground. They walk everywhere and only fly to get away from each other or predators. Young,adolescent guineas wil fly to test their wings and hang in trees some but the food is on the ground and thats where adult guineas are.
We are keeping a rooster and there is no problem so noise is least of my concern
If you are talking the noise range of a rooster vs the noise range of guineas,(they travel in groups) the guineas win out because they'll travel a 1/2 mile then all start screaming. If you are in a "neighborhood" my bet is your guineas will find a neighbor that doesn't like them. Do your research and maybe talk to your neighbors. Good luck..

We live on a farm, and years ago some neighbors down the road had some guineas. They can travel quite a ways, and were often in our yard and barns. They also roamed across the state road we live on and onto a county road where they were kind of a nuisance to people driving if they were in the road.
That being said, I’ve been saying we need some guineas around with as many ticks as we are getting this summer.
I’ve heard that a lot thanks

Back
Top Bottom