Want to go free range

Quote:
I agree. We have the same predators and a pair of nesting golden eagles. I've noticed that no matter where my chickens are on the farm, they tend to congregate in areas where they have a "safe zone" and will go into that safe zone with just one warning from my roo. Yes, I know I will eventually lose some but for now they have the best life a chicken could ask for.
ETA: I have an irish wolfhound that is out and about with the chickens alot during nice weather. Now that she has accepted the chickens as part of the family, she will protect them the same way she protected the cat when another dog went after her.

Last edited:
I fenced in my birds because they were getting in my gardens and scratching and eating my newly planted plants and tearing up and spreading out my mulch piles. It was either fence in the gardens or the chickens. The chickens lost. They have a nice big yard. Also I put up some electric wire up around the outside of my fence after a neighborhood dog dug under my fence and killed one of my hens. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

Back
Top Bottom