Want to hatch along? My first incubation :0) Lockdown tomorrow 9-3-11

Oh no biggie, I do look forward to seeing them though. I have never seen D'Uccle chicks before only when they are older. Sorry I haven't got any pics up yet either. We now have 10 and more to come. I am moving the ones that are already hatched to the brooder in the morning no matter what. Hopefully I don't shrink wrap anyone. I will get some pics then. :0)

Quote:
Sorry! Didn't get a chance to post the pics today. I will add them tomorrow! Promise! They are getting cuter by the minute. I'll try and take some new shots to add so you can see the new wing feathers coming in.

No rush, Dandy! Just, you know, hurry!!
gig.gif
. Congratulations on the chicks!! It's always exciting to watch them hatch! I took some more pics, even though their adopted brooder mate has gone attack defense chick on us. She (?) is 5 days older and has appointed herself surrogate mom for all eight. Lord, I hope she's a she!!
fl.gif

So - four hatched of 30 eggs I started with. Some were broken during the 1000 miles or so they travelled by car and boat. Some were clears. I started 10 off in the incubator and the rest under the hen. I then swapped the clears under the hen with the developers under the incubator, but maybe 14 were too many for a first timer.

All of those that developed and then stopped seemed to have broken yolks. Can anyone tell me what the process is where they absorb the yolk? Do all chicks hatch with broken yolks or do they fail if this breaks?

I'm delighted with the four that hatched - it was a long shot with all the factors against them...

(How is your son, Contrastphoto?)

Hi

The yolk sac stays intact throughout incubation but it is a delicate membrane that contains it. Also once an embryo dies then membranes, vessels etc degrade quickly. The yolk sac may have broken after the embryo died or when the egg was broken open to examine it.

Prior to the hatching process beginning (about 3 days before hatching) there is a substantial yolk sac remaining and this is slowly withdrawn into the abdominal cavity over a 48 hour period. Therefore the chick hatches with a yolk sac still supplying nutrition inside the abdomen.

Hope that helps
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Last edited:
Hayes update- The doctors have diagnosed him with viral meningitis (not sure where it came from but much better than bacterial meningitis). He should be able to get better on his own in 7-10 days. During that time he will have flu like condition with fever and nausea. We are praying the seizure was related to the meningitis, which is very likely. We are hoping to take him home today. Of all the thing that could have been wrong with him this one is the best or of the worst. We are thanking God. Hayes is in good sprits and is such a trooper through it all.

Both of my Swedish Flower hen chicks made it through the night and are doing well! She was sticky so I had to bath her. Poor thing! She is doing much better now.
big_smile.png
Things are looking up! I will post photo if we get home later today.

Oh, I am so glad. I had two kids that had meningitis - one was bacterial and one was viral. (not at the same time). That's good news. I had no idea it could cause seizures. He's got to get well soon, he has chicks to play with
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom