Want to have some Fun? Color Help Please?

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
I had this Langshan bantam hatch out. Thought it was a cockerel since it was feathering in "so slowly". I look, and realize that the feathers aren't down...they're blue! This chick hatched out completely black and now has black AND blue feathering as well as some black and blue barring! You can barely see the barring in the tail of the black and blue.

How on earth does this happen?

I thought she had split wing at first. Apparently she was the victim of momma not wanting to mother any more...all feathers are broken off save for the first primaries. The first primaries vary between black, WHITE and blue.

Last edited:
Actually it looks like she (he) is going to be blue with really good dark lacing, as the andalusian blue is suppose to.
You think it is full blooded Langshan? Think one of the parents must then be carrying blue genes.

The male was blue and the female was either black or blue. Yes, she is a pure Langshan bantam. When blues hatch out, they are a light silver color. Not a dark blue color. I've never seen a blue color out this way. The primaires are always pure white on my blacks and blues until they molt out.

I can't wait to see how she feathers in! I shall name her "Harlie" for now! Because she reminds me of a Harlequin Great Dane!

The male was blue and the female was either black or blue. Yes, she is a pure Langshan bantam. When blues hatch out, they are a light silver color. Not a dark blue color. I've never seen a blue color out this way. The primaires are always pure white on my blacks and blues until they molt out.

I can't wait to see how she feathers in! I shall name her "Harlie" for now! Because she reminds me of a Harlequin Great Dane!
My EE's hatch out a nearly black, dark dark blue they look black. Thye start changing at about 5 to 6 weeks and start getting bluer looking.

Last edited:
Here's a reference for one of my blue Langshan chicks. This one is actually a little dark. They usually come out a bit lighter silver. I suppose she'll just be the genetic quirk for this year!

I had a Cochin chick feather in that way. She started out a very light blue color when first hatched, then as the down came out and the feathers came in, she looked just like your baby. Almost black with little patches of blue. Here's a pic:
photobucket-4154-1330710661131.jpg

Now she's a very dark blue with black lacing. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom