want to make a waterer/feeder for tomorrow

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
My chicks arrive tomorrow and I would like to recycle some materials to make a waterer and a feeder. I thought about using a pickle jar or the like, but figured I can't drill holes in that.

could I use a plastic folgers coffee container? the small ones? drill holes in the bottom of it? Or what would you recommend for me to use...

thank you!

I had 2 store bought feeders and 2 waterers, but one weekend I had to scramble and put together more quick feeders and waterers for a third brooder for a group shipment of 50 chicks. This is what I did.

Feeders= Ice cube tray. Nothing sharp on it and it doesn't tip over. They also couldn't kick out the feed easily.

Waterers= plastic Water bottle with a hole drilled toward the bottom set inside a thermos cup/lid. Fill and close bottle while it is in the cup really quickly.

Good luck with your new baby chicks tomorrow!

chicks just out of the hatcher , i just use plastic miricle whip lids to put the food in and smaller shallow lids for the water , can use miricle whip jar lid for that too but i would put some marbles in the bottom of it .

I have also used tuna cans for the feed , i just make sure there are no sharp spots on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you!!! I will def try these things and hopefully I can get them to work! I am excited to recycle used materials! I think I'll try the ice cube tray and the water bottle...
smile.png
or something similar to a water bottle, not sure I have one of those at the moment
smile.png

When you make the waterer, you want to assure an airtight seal at what becomes the top. I think the small Folger's container would work great, but suggest you drill the holes near the top of the container, just under where the black lid goes on. The top becomes the bottom, you have an airtight seal, and it doesn't leak while you are putting the top back on.

With any feeder or waterer, think how you can keep them off the top of it. It won't be long before they are jumping or flying to the top of it, perching, and placing their droppings in the food or water. Some people use cones, some use wire, rope, something hanging in the way.

Good Luck with your babies!

I use the plastic coffee cans for both food and water. To make the simplest water dispenser just find a dish it will fit into, cut a notch in the rim that is not higher than the dish, fill can with water, place dish on top then flip. These are actually much more stable than the traditional mason jar because of the weight distribution. I don't bother to get the drill out...just cut with kitchen knife.
I'm using these for chicks, adults and ducks.
Good luck with your new chicks!

so in using the folgers container, I would drill the small holes at the top of it below the lid, then fill it with water and put the lid on then flip it? and then I'd have to put it in a pan or something? or am I envisioning something totally different? I am a visual learner so yeah, without a picture Im lost LOL!

ETA: woops, cross posted with the past poster LOL! I will def try this out for sure.

OK, with coffee cans they smell like coffee even after washing... is this going to be an issue?

Last edited:
ETA: woops, cross posted with the past poster LOL! I will def try this out for sure.

Leah took care of you.

OK, with coffee cans they smell like coffee even after washing... is this going to be an issue?

The smell will not be an issue for them. After a day or two, you will not notice that smell either.

OK! I just made the folgers waterer and its going to work great!!!!

now, should I find another folgers container or just use the ice cube tray?

Well I wish I knew some of this stuff when I started, I won't tell you what I bought. Anyhow, any ideas about what I can do to keep my chickens from jumping up and trying to roost on the top of my hanging feeder. They sell lids in the catalogs but after this post I figure y'all are smarter than me.
By the way I had the opportunity to stop and see my sister in laws chickens and coops etc. What a mess. Chickens in cages a bunch of mixed breed chickens. Yikes!
Anyhow got any ideas about my problem?

Back
Top Bottom