Want to order chicks....soon!

crystal195655

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Glenoma, WA
I am new to this whole chicken thing...so has anybody had trouble ordering chickens this time of year? I live in Washington State, we do get some cold weather, but generally speaking it's not too bad....we average 40+ degrees most of the winter unless we get a little snow.....which usually doesn't happen until January or so? we insulated the coop we built so I think we will be ok. Any help or advise would be appreciated

Well, if you are getting newborn chicks, then they can't be in an area without a heat lamp. I brooded my in my basement, but if you are going to do it in your coop then you are probably going to need a closed off area with a sufficiant heat lamp. I hope everything works out! By the way......
welcome-byc.gif

Go for it! When I was contemplating, I saw a post here that was written whats the latest day in the year you can raise Chicks? The answer January 31st. From what I read her and all over the internet, if you gradually introduce to cold temps chicks adapt as they were created to do- feathers are for cold weather. Choose bird that are adapted for cold weather climate and introduce gradually and all should be well-

good luck-

I myself live in a cold climate and have 4 week old chicks who will be ready to brave the cold in a few short weeks, I am doing all I know to ensure thier success at thriving in New England Winters.

I ordered mine from MyPetChicken recently, and they still have a few batches left for the year.
They shipped very quickly and are all in great condition. Lively birds, and I was able to get four different types of hen which was important to me since I want a colorful flock.
smile.png

If you're getting babies, definitely make sure you order some Gro-Gel for them. Even though ours were wiped out from being shipped across the country they perked right up when we gave them the Gro-Gel.

I, too, had a hard time finding hatcheries that still had what I was looking for (d'Uccles), but once I found one (Stromberg's), it was no problem. My mistake came in thinking that because the chicks I wanted were marked "available" on the order page, I assumed the chicks would be shipping that day or the next. I ordered day-olds on the 19th, the same day my two eggs hatched, but my day-olds won't actually be shipping until the 26th, which is Wednesday. I'm hoping the two different ages will still be young enough to keep in the same brooding area.

I believe Stromberg's is in Minnesota, and I'm in sunny Southwest Florida, so I'm not sure what to expect when they arrive, but I'll certainly be posting.

Good luck ... it might take a while, but it sounds like there are still hatcheries doing business this late in the year.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom