Chicks Arriving Wednesday!

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
Besides the ones I just hatched over the weekend, we have 18 more coming from Meyer Wednesday. First time ordering from them. Anybody have experience with how well they pack chicks? We are experiencing some rather cold weather and snow in my area that we usually don't get. I've never ordered chicks this early but it was necessary this year. Anybody have decent experience with receiving mostly live chicks in cold climates?

Have a brooder set up, with a heat lamp. Have the heat lamp set lower than usual-- as hot as 110F directly under the lamp is fine for this. (Not a brooder plate. Not anything temperature-controlled that is meant to stay at just the "right" temperature. For this, you really do want a little bit "too hot.")

Other than that, have feed & water ready, and something non-slippery on the floor of the brooder (paper towels work well, but are not the only option.)

When you get the chicks, take them out of the box and put them under the heat lamp. If any are almost-dead, put them under the heat lamp too (not the very hottest area, but a little bit out.) The healthy chicks will probably huddle under the heat lamp and peep, as if they are still cold. Just let them do that, and fairly soon they will be warm enough to start exploring and finding the food and water. For the almost-dead ones, if they are still laying there, turn them over every now and then so they can warm up on all sides. They may just die, but I have seen some remarkable recoveries as they get warm (to the point where it was not clear which chick used to have the problem!)

As the chicks get warmed up, they eat and drink and start to move away from the heat lamp. It is important to have a big enough brooder that they can get away from the heat when they want to. Within a day or so, you can raise the heat lamp to provide more normal chick-brooding temperatures. If you want to use a brooder plate, make sure the chicks are doing fine for two or three days and then give it a try.

I have not dealt with chilled chicks very often, because they usually arrive just fine. The hatcheries are usually quite good at packing the chicks so their own body heat will keep them warm in the current weather (smaller or larger box, less or more vent holes, etc.)

I have sometimes seen advice for sugared water (to provide quick energy), or electrolytes in water, or various other helps. I have not used any of those, and I have not personally seen any situations where I think they would have made a difference. They may help in some cases, but I don't know enough to tell what times those would be.

Note, other people may have other advice. What I said is what I would do, and have done in the past. It worked fairly well for me. Dead chicks stayed dead, healthy chicks stayed healthy, some almost-dead chicks recovered.

Last edited:
In addition to the wonderful advice you've already gotten, it never hurts to call the hatchery in this case. Last year I ordered from Hoover's. THey do various things to open the right number of holes, double bottoms, double layer of cardboard wrapping etc around the box, because that hatchery doesn't use heat packs.

I'd ask to buy a heat pack, and also let them know that you are forecast to have temperatures of (X degrees), and that this is very extreme and unusual for your shipping zip code. You won't insult them, they'll appreciate the heads up about the bizarre shipping weather you're having.

Have a brooder set up, with a heat lamp. Have the heat lamp set lower than usual-- as hot as 110F directly under the lamp is fine for this. (Not a brooder plate. Not anything temperature-controlled that is meant to stay at just the "right" temperature. For this, you really do want a little bit "too hot.")

Other than that, have feed & water ready, and something non-slippery on the floor of the brooder (paper towels work well, but are not the only option.)

When you get the chicks, take them out of the box and put them under the heat lamp. If any are almost-dead, put them under the heat lamp too (not the very hottest area, but a little bit out.) The healthy chicks will probably huddle under the heat lamp and peep, as if they are still cold. Just let them do that, and fairly soon they will be warm enough to start exploring and finding the food and water. For the almost-dead ones, if they are still laying there, turn them over every now and then so they can warm up on all sides. They may just die, but I have seen some remarkable recoveries as they get warm (to the point where it was not clear which chick used to have the problem!)

As the chicks get warmed up, they eat and drink and start to move away from the heat lamp. It is important to have a big enough brooder that they can get away from the heat when they want to. Within a day or so, you can raise the heat lamp to provide more normal chick-brooding temperatures. If you want to use a brooder plate, make sure the chicks are doing fine for two or three days and then give it a try.

I have not dealt with chilled chicks very often, because they usually arrive just fine. The hatcheries are usually quite good at packing the chicks so their own body heat will keep them warm in the current weather (smaller or larger box, less or more vent holes, etc.)

I have sometimes seen advice for sugared water (to provide quick energy), or electrolytes in water, or various other helps. I have not used any of those, and I have not personally seen any situations where I think they would have made a difference. They may help in some cases, but I don't know enough to tell what times those would be.

Note, other people may have other advice. What I said is what I would do, and have done in the past. It worked fairly well for me. Dead chicks stayed dead, healthy chicks stayed healthy, some almost-dead chicks recovered.
Thank you for the reassurance and tips!

In addition to the wonderful advice you've already gotten, it never hurts to call the hatchery in this case. Last year I ordered from Hoover's. THey do various things to open the right number of holes, double bottoms, double layer of cardboard wrapping etc around the box, because that hatchery doesn't use heat packs.

I'd ask to buy a heat pack, and also let them know that you are forecast to have temperatures of (X degrees), and that this is very extreme and unusual for your shipping zip code. You won't insult them, they'll appreciate the heads up about the bizarre shipping weather you're having.
I'm calling first thing in the morning and asking about adding additional heat packs(if they don't already). I asked a local girl I know if she knew anything about them and turns out she ordered last winter with no issues and they added heat packs without her asking! I had sent an email yesterday and they said they have dealt with those conditions before and to notify them immediately of any deaths and to call with any questions. I'm hoping all goes smoothly.

I have had the “pleasure “ of dealing with cold almost dead chicks. What I did was lay them on a washcloth folded loosely over them and used my hairdryer to warm them while gently rubbing them. Once they started to chip I gave them a drop of molasses water and put them in a box with a heat pad on low and a towel loosely draped over the top. The heat pad was smaller than the box incase the got too hot they could move off it. After 15 minutes they were moving around and were able to join the rest of the group. Good luck!
Hopefully you won’t have to even worry about this.

Well guys, before I could even call to ask about extra heat packs this morning, the hatchery emailed me and delayed my shipment until their next hatch date which is Monday now. Hopefully weather is regular cold by then and not arctic temps.
Well I bet you’re disappointed but it’s probably for the best. Safety first.

Back
Top Bottom