want to raise orpington chicks this spring

My Pet Chicken is a middleman. Their minimum varies depending on where you live in. Their minimum of three is only for certain zip codes.
Ideal has a minimum dollar amount, not chick amount. Books and other poultry supplies count towards that minimum.
IMO, the simplest way to order a smaller than 25 amount from Ideal without getting packing peanuts is to hold off a little and order them later in the year, like May or June or whenever it's consistently warm where you live.
Then order a smaller amount, specify that you don't want packing peanuts when you order, and purchase the shipping insurance, which is no more than 2 or 3 dollars.
The chances of getting SQ from a hatchery is slim, but it does happen. It all depends on how serious the breeder (that supplies the hatchery with eggs) is about improving their breed.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

Quote:
I order a total of 13 chicks from Ideal and got them late spring when the weather was warm on a more normal basis. No packing peanuts came with the bunch. I am planning on ordering more from Ideal this spring. Cant wait.
big_smile.png

I didn't mean to sound negative about Ideal at all. I had a great experience with them. I ordered 11 chicks in April and received 17 with the packing peanuts which were all light brahmas. I would order from them again. I am very pleased with the chickens I have from them.​

Ask Santa for a 'bator for Christmas. Buy eggs from a breeder and get the best quailty you can afford. You will raise chicks that are better than any hatchery chick every wanted to be.

I have 4 Buff O's and 2 Silkies that are 6 months old now from MPC and they are very healthy and look great. I did get a Roo that I didn't want, but now am glad i have him. Very entertaining! Anyway, my experience with MPC was great.

Back
Top Bottom