Want to see what happens when you do absolutely everything wrong?

bearz

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
and I mean everything.

I posted the below in bold on Tuesday. Since then we have had 11 hatch out of 32! Post mortem on the other 21 showed 2 pipped and unable to complete (darn it, I should have watched better) and all but 3 or 4 had mature chicks in them that for some reason died without hatching. I had to help the last one out, the gray in my hand. He hatched this afternoon, 3 days late, and had problems but he's jumping around and peeping like crazy. He's such a toughie we're calling him Brutus. The yellow chick has to be kept separate. Its a runt and the others were picking on it but when I try to put it in with the one I had to help it attacks the little guy. Sigh....

22 days ago I put 32 eggs in the hatcher. All different breeds, all crossbreeds. Eggs were dark brown, tan, white and green. I just wanted some extra laying chickens.

My plan was to keep my hands completely off it so I put it in the basement this time.

7 days later I went down to find that my turner wasn't working. Hadn't worked at all.

I had also failed to put any water in the well, so I quickly put about 3/4 of a cup of water in.

I had 2 thermometers and each one showed a different temp, 4 degrees apart.

I figured they were all dead but when I started candling every single one of them was alive!

My big idea was to turn them by hand 3x a day for the next 10 days. In actuality I did that 7, maybe 8 times over the next 10 days. I really had no hope for these things but Sunday I laid them all out to hatch, just in case.

Tuesday morning DS ran down to check and there was 1 out and 1 zipped! What a shock. I figured that was it and I was thrilled.

Last night there were 3 out and 1 zipped. I about fainted.

This morning DS came bounding up the stairs shouting MOM! MOM! EIGHT out and another zipping!
wee.gif

I may die of shock! **This place needs a fainting smilie**

SO, I'm going to keep the bater shut at least 1 more day (they can go 2 days without anything, right?) and see what happens and then I'll come back with pics.

I think I'll develop a whole new way to hatch...the ignoreitanddoitallwrong method.

10675_chicks1.jpg

10675_chicks2.jpg

10675_chicks3.jpg

Last edited:
Shoot, I wouldn't have named the tough one Brutus. He might end up killing his best friend on the Ides of March!!!

Nature really is amazing, though. Despite human faults, it keeps on ticking.

Back
Top Bottom