Want to see what scared my daughter to death yesterday?

Chickens in Elmwood

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
Elmwood, WV
So, my Dear Daughter came running inside yesterday, screaming, "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKENS, MOMMA! I THINK THEY ARE ALL DEAD!"

Crying hysterics ensued, her practically hanging off of my leg as I went to the backdoor and saw this:

36122_dead_chickens_002.jpg

I told her they were definitely NOT dead, but she didn't believe it until she saw them get up and run away. My poor baby does love her chickens!

Last edited:
Poor kid! I can relate to that....the first few weeks my chicks were outside relaxing and I saw them stretched out like that I panicked too, until they raised heads and gave me a sleepy stare. Our horses do it too and even though I know they're napping, I still check to see if they're breathing, just because.
But isn't it good to know your daughter is observant and caring?

I found all of mine like that yesterday too. Naps a few at a time, I'm used to. Yesterday the whole flock just laid down and dozed.

Ha ha ha! I've seen mine sunning themselves like that, and I've had to go over for a closer look to make sure there hadn't been a massacre! You know those are some happy chickens when they are that comfortable!

lau.gif
I had a hen on her side in "hard" dirt (so definitely not a dirt bath!) with her feet out to side. She had a wing held funny too and I went running over since it was a HOT day and I thought she died of heat stroke! She was sun bathing!
gig.gif
Sure scared me! The chickens sure know how to make our hearts stop don't they!
roll.png

yes, my husband tilled over our old garden spot about 4 times on Monday. The chickens are LOVING all the loose dirt to roll around in. As an added bonus, they sometimes find bugs in there, too. Dustbathing and then laying in the sun. They like it, my daughter doesn't! :lol

Back
Top Bottom