Want to try butchering bantam roos, how old?

crazyfowllady

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 21, 2007
Louisa, VA
I have a fairly big flock of bantam chickens: d'uccles, japs, cochins, silkies. I was wondering if anybody new the best age to butcher the roos? I've tried on older ones and just couldn't get them chewed up! I've heard 18 hours stew time, too. Is this true? Help! They are going to waste!

I do silkies for meat... rather soup. Generally just like large dual purpose birds, want to butcher at about 16 weeks or so if you ever hope to bite into them. In addition, be sure to age for a day or two in the fridge so the meat can relax. Beyond that, soup is the best thing you can do.

I've eaten a 10 month old cockeral. We cooked the pieces in a crock pot on low all day (12 or so hrs) with potatos, carrots, and onions. Easy to eat and tasty! Since he was free range there was very little fat or stripling (that white tendon type tissue) in the meat.

We also let the meat "rest" for 5 days in the fridge in water, then brined before putting into the pot.

There was an article in Hobby Farm this month that mentioned slow cooking as the secret to eating older birds.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm sorry to say I have a kill pen going already this year, but I will try to cook them again! I didn't let the little guys age at all in the fridge last time I tried to cook them and no one could swallow a bite! Wish me luck!

Sly, come right early, you can help butcher!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom