Want to use dog kennel/pen for housing meat birds.

Okay here is what we have so far. It can easly be moved by two people as it is light. The front can either have a pop door added or the front taken off for more room. The box as I am calling it is 4'x8' and the pen is 10x10. We will move to the pasture and plan to put a tarp over the top with a pitch so water runs off of it.

brooderinprocess.jpg

justaddchicks.jpg

brooderindogpen.jpg

I used a 10 x 10 kennel for my turkeys. When they were ready to be outside they moved there. I used a tarp run from the bottom, up over the top rail, and the pulled out to form a "tent" sort of thing for a shelter. It has been terrific. I can move it, but I prefer doing it with the help of my six foot son and husband! I moved it every couple of days when they were too small to free range and now that they are older, I only move when the poop gets bad. About every week.

Had ten turkeys in there, worked great!

Jane

Nice brooder!

The super-lightweight runs they sell at big box stores are a lot easier to move than good chain link kennels.

However, I wouldn't count on them to keep dogs in or out. Hot wire.

The plastic is wavey so right now that is the only venilation. We are going to put a door on the front. But we just had to get it built and those little stinkies out of the house.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

We will run some electric cattle fence around the outside. We use it to keep our dogs in and out of places depending on the situation. OUr layer coop has an 8 ft chicken wire fence and then 3 rows of the hot wire. And I have thouched it, it hurts.

I have one that is 8' x 20' I do not move it very often, but when I do, I take the tractor bucket with a chain and raise it a couple of inches on one end and back up.. It is 1 section wide and 2 sections long.. when I get it into position, I just pull everything back into line by hand..
I use mine for everything.
I have chicken wire over the top, and along the bottom 2 feet high..

weasels can still get in, though..

One thing I would do differently is make it only one section long.. then I would move it more often..

currently, I do have a dog in there,, imagine that !! LOL

.....jiminwisc...

At 9 days old mine were out of the house.Those little stinkers had to go. I had used 6 wooden pallets and made a large pen for ours and covered it with a heavy white plastic.. I works great to. Kept them dry through a hard rain (except for 2 that got out) but, that's another story.

Last edited:
Poor birds actually got cold when the temps suddenly dropped on Saturday. Friends came over and we were able to get things back in check and they are all doing fine. They are beginning to eat like crazy. We are going out of town this weekend and are worried that we only have 50 pounds of food. So I guess it will go to to the feed store before leaving.

Back
Top Bottom