Want to Use Wafer Thermostat with Brooder Light in My Winter Coop

RatcliffeChick

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
I'm new to this forum, but have had 10 Red Star Chickens for 2 years now. The first time, we raised the chicks with a brooder light above a baby swimming pool, surrounded by cardboard, in our basement. It worked great, except for the dust. I could not believe how much dust those little chicks could create.
Now, I have 30 Red Star chicks on order for May 16. I have ordered a wafer thermostat, and am going to try to use it to turn on/off my brooder lamp. I plan to use my winter coop to raise them. It is 4'X8'X3' high. It is insulated. I think it will be plenty warm enough, since it will be May 16, which is just past our frost date for West Virginia. I am concerned that it may get too hot, though. I have researched this idea, and surprised to not find much information on this. Anyone ever brood chicks like this, or am I setting myself up for failure?

First of all
welcome-byc.gif

Secondly, I've seen pics of commercial outdoor brooders that use wafer thermostats. I saw them on byc. I'm not sure but I think they might have 2 bulbs. 1 white that stays on all the time and one red heat bulb that works with the thermostat.

Thanks. I can do that because I already have the coop wired with a light that I use to offset the winter months for my current hens.

I would just use heat lamp to one corner where it will stay about 94ish. Let them move away or as close as they want. Just check frequently to make sure they are fine. I have an area out in the coop that is about 3wide x5 long x4 high. I have a wire screen over the door part on top and set a lamp above that. It warms the whole area but only the part under the light is "chick" temp. the rest is a nice 85+ as you get closer to the lamp. That is my only light source though so I place a thermometer under the light area and check it often. If your going to use a thermostat then just make sure they have light when your brooder bulb goes off otherwise they wont be able to see!

There are things on the web and maybe even this site for thermostat hook ups for incubator lights. That will tell you how to hook it up. Same thing!

Back
Top Bottom