Wanted a few hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by LoneCowboy, Nov 2, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I going to need a few hatching eggs to test my incubator that I'm planning on building soon. I'll be bummed if there isn't a way to test it when it's done [​IMG] I'm just wanting Buff Orpingtons, or Black Giant, or some other standard laying breed. Not mixed breed though. Let me know if you have some to spare.

Thanks,
    Deniece

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    This time of year you have to take what is available. Some times that is not what you want. But if it is to test a new bator, what is the difference. If it doesn't work you haven't lost your favorite types. If it does, you have fried chicken in six months.

3. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    That's why I said standard laying types. Not really picky, but have to be able to sell them.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I understand why you want pures-the roos are easier to sell that way. I wish I could help, but all my purebred eggs are spoken for right now. Hope you find some, Deniece.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What a nice thing to say, Don! Deniece, he's right. Surely you'll be able to find some somewhere.

7. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    100 eggs at a time should be a crime too. [​IMG]

emergency purchase another bator due to egg overflow? [​IMG] did you forget bator size or just lose count?? [​IMG]

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Deniece, do you not have your own chicken eggs that may be fertile? The reason I ask is because it is better to test an incubator with eggs that have not been shipped. Shipping itself damages eggs and could give you wrong information on if your bator is working or not. If you don't have fertile eggs yourself, try checking with a local farmer (most have roos running with their hens). I just don't think shipped eggs is the best choice for testing an incubator to ensure it is working correctly.

Jody

9. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I don't, my chickens aren't even laying yet. I've discussed this problem with them, but all they say is "Where's my treat!" Chicken's what do they know?

I don't want to test it with Speckledhens eggs. That's why I'm looking for others. I want all the bugs worked out before those come. [​IMG]

I've been reading "Guide to Better Hatching" and what I can't understand is how come chicken aren't extinct? I mean reading that, I'm amazed any live at all through the hatching process.

I might go with some mixed eggs if I can't find any others. I have the DH to worry about too. I can't have a bunch of chickens running around that I can't get rid of. We are talking living things here, so the stewardship issues are more serious.

Plus, I don't know how to process chickens and not in any hurry to learn. [​IMG] You know, tons of things to have to think about. I'm trying to simplify the issues by just assuming everything is going to go perfectly. (cough cough) [​IMG]
    and I'm going to have several to deal with. How best to get them good homes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by