Wanted: Cucumber Recipes

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
Ok, we are completely overrun with slicing cucumbers this year. I'm picking a dozen or more a day. I, my husband, and the neighbors have had almost a bait of the cucumbers this year. What are some other ways we can be fixing these things to change things up?

You must of planted too many too!
smile.png

I am still eating one of the sandwiches almost every day.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=358440&p=1

I like Cucumber Sandwiches! You take bread, put mayo on both halves, slice the cucumber no bigger than half inch rounds, add dill and eat!! Yumm wonderful on a hot summer day!

Wish I had your guys trouble with too many cucumbers. As late as we are I hope to get enought to make my hot dill pickles. I have a long list of buyers waiting for them.

Quote:
We have had the same thing...only six plants and they are going wild!! I have put up so many pickles...sweet and dill...that I'm out of room. I've started slicing several of them down the middle each day and tossing them to my chickens. The chickens LOVE them and it's a great treat for them. They are also getting squash, green beans and tomatoes that we can't eat. My freezer is stuffed full and there is no more room anywhere for any more vegetables and my neighbors are starting to run from me when they see me coming with a bag in my hand. So my chickens will be getting a feast until the garden is done.

I'm having to toss the eggplants over the fence into the woods, I'm hoping something out there will eat them. The chickens won't eat them and as I said my freezer is full.

Quote:
We have had the same thing...only six plants and they are going wild!! I have put up so many pickles...sweet and dill...that I'm out of room. I've started slicing several of them down the middle each day and tossing them to my chickens. The chickens LOVE them and it's a great treat for them. They are also getting squash, green beans and tomatoes that we can't eat. My freezer is stuffed full and there is no more room anywhere for any more vegetables and my neighbors are starting to run from me when they see me coming with a bag in my hand. So my chickens will be getting a feast until the garden is done.

I'm having to toss the eggplants over the fence into the woods, I'm hoping something out there will eat them. The chickens won't eat them and as I said my freezer is full.

What about taking the excess to a senior center in your area.....there are usually many who can no longer garden who will enjoy fresh veggies.

This recipe is for those cukes that get a little yellow

Senfgurken or Yellow Cucumber pickles I even made these with zuccini squash and they were a hit too.

1 bushel large yellow cucumbers (Makes 14 quart jars) Pare, cut into strips about 1 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inches and seed
Brine (1 part coarse salt to 9 parts water) Soak the strips 12 hours. Then drain them well...don't rinse.

Sterilize 14 quart jars and lids. to each add:
Horse Radish strips: 1 1/2 inch by 1/3 inch by 1/3 inch for each jar
Hot red chile pepper: 1/2 to 1 inch per jar
Dill blossoms: 4 sprigs per jar or 1 tsp dill seed per jar
White Mustard seed: 1 Tbs per jar
One clove garlic in each jar or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
If using pint jars, then half these amounts.

In a pot combine and bring to a boil.
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 gallons white pickling vinegar (If the vinegar is more than 5% acid, add another 1/4 cup sugar) Other vinegars will darken the pickle.

Working 3 cups of pickles at a time...enough to cover the bottom of the pan, bring the cucumbers just to a boil and remove immediately to the jars. Do not cook the cucumbers any longer because it will soften them. When the jar is full, cover them with the boiling venegar. Seal the jars and work another three cups of cucumber slices until you are finished.
Permit your pickles to ripen for at least 6 weeks before serving them.

These are great served with cold meat, chopped for a salad or sliced for a sandwich.

Last edited:
Quote:

What about taking the excess to a senior center in your area.....there are usually many who can no longer garden who will enjoy fresh veggies.

Thanks for the recipe but I have put up all the pickles that I have room for. I live in a very small unincorporated community and the closest town big enough to maybe have a senior center is a 70 mile drive…one way…and I'm afraid I'm not willing to spend that much time or gas to give away some vegetables. It's a very sweet thought and I have given my neighbors as much as they will take. I feel like as long as the chickens are eating them they aren't being wasted and it's saving me money on my feed bill.

Back
Top Bottom