Wanted (NC) Eggs for classroom **Update - Eggs are here! Thanks Lisa!!

arlee453

Songster
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
near Charlotte NC
Well, I got the dates from my son's teacher today. She picked the week after Thanksgiving to set the eggs and start the unit with the kids.

Now, I need to find some eggs that will be available to ship out maybe Saturday the 24th or Monday the 26th. I want to set them either the 28th or 29th so they will hatch mid-week for the kids to see.

I'm looking for about one dozen eggs, can't use more than 18 eggs. I'd prefer something standard sized, maybe EE's for the colored eggs, or something buff or blue. I'd prefer pure breeds just so I would be able to show the kids a picture of what kind of chickens they will grow up to be.

Also, I really don't want to pay a fortune for them since with them being in the classroom, so am sort of looking for a bargain here since DH is already not happy with my expenditures so far with the chickens...
roll.png

So if anyone anticipates having any extra fertile eggs during that time frame, please let me know how much to zip 28025 in NC. Any chicks that hatch out will be taken home to our house to raise up and any girls will be life long residents here, roos to be rehomed.

Last edited:
Well, just some thoughts on this, if you want to candle the eggs to show the kids, white eggs do better, brown eggs next. Blue to green eggs tend to have thicker shells in my experience and are hard to candle. You can find many eggs on E-bay (Leon Valley is shipping now and comes to mind, I just got Mille Fleur eggs from them and they were wonderfully packed!). Your teacher is cutting it close with the return to school and Xmas coming up with winter break. It would be a bummer to take that incubator home to hatch if they don't come in on time and the kids miss it. As an educator myself, I wouldn't disregard bantam eggs, as they may hatch earlier and be easier to candle!
smile.png

I would definitely check out eggbid and ebay for the best deals if no one here has what you are looking for. They certainly get into a mind of their own when winter comes along and starts changing their routines!

I suggest you contact Jody or Speckledhen they have standards- jenlynn also has some standard cochins I believe.

the other thing you might want to do is have a hatchery order as a back up - November is a weather change month and hard to predict the lay for some of us - I have bantams
but would gladly help you out if my birds stay laying as a back up if nothing else --

The ship date you have is flawed - 11/24 is a Sat the eggs would sit for two days in a heated PO.
The 26th isn't bad except from Hunting states the 26th is the Holy Day of Hunting in PA/OH and there isn't school in a lot of places .The eggs if shipped that day would get there on Thursday and could be set Friday.Which leads to is a Turner being used ? If not the teacher would have to come and turn them over the weekend ? I have seen teachers turn twice a day and get a decent hatch but most do not want to come in twice a day over the weekend .

There is nothing worse doing this and getting a 0 hatch especailly with elementary students so I advise a back up hatch at home or again a hatchery chick order so the kids come in and find chicks

Last edited:
Hi!
I know they aren't exactly what you're looking for but I can offer Barred Rock eggs for your project.
I have 10 BR girls laying so 18 fresh wouldn't be a problem and the price is right --- just cover shipping and handling.

Ship on the Sat, the 24th, and you should have them the 26th or 27th.
Ship Mon, the 26th and you should have them the 28th or 29th.
In fact, I just shipped a box of bantam eggs to Kings Mountain, NC on 11/2 and they were delivered 11/5
smile.png

Postage was $5.70 --- 18 big eggs would be a little more, but not much.

Just in case you don't find exactly what you're looking for
wink.png

Lisa
Aiken, SC

Thanks Lisa for the offer of your BR eggs - I may just take you up on that! I'm waiting to hear back from someone I contcated off the list, but if that falls through.... I'll let you know for sure by Friday. The BRs would fit just fine with our girls and I know they are a much loved breed with lots of great qualities.

I did think about having a hatchery order - I figured that I'll know by the 2nd week if there is nothing developing. I'm sort of torn on that - on the one hand, it's part of the process that sometimes no chicks make it. On the other, I don't want the kids to be disappointed... I'll have to think about that some more and cross that bridge later!

And, I did get a turner for the bator - I decided that not only did I not want to have to worry about taking the bator home over the weekends, but it was probably just best to NOT have the kids or teacher opening the bator non stop. I'm already a nervous nelly - going to have my son bring home the max/min temps and humidity readings for me every day so I can make any tweaks or adjustments needed.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and help!

Lisa,

I just sent you a PM about the eggs - I'd love to have some of your BR's eggs as the other people I contacted can't help me out on those days. Thanks!!

Just an update and a THANK YOU to Lisa who send me 14 lovely Barred Rock eggs.

They arrived safely and I got them today (Monday) Sometimes the PO DOES get it right!

The bator was delivered today to the classroom and set up, so now it's just waiting until Wed to set them.

Hope this project goes well - I'm keeping back half of them to set here in the other bator (v1.0) JUST in case we have issues with the classroom one.

Back
Top Bottom