Wanted: PEAHEN (for my lonely Peacock) *UPDATE: PEAHEN FOUND!*

mlheran

Songster
12 Years
Mar 21, 2007
Sonoma County, California
In search of young(ish) peahen for long term relationship with handsome young peacock....

ME:
A young peacock (about a year old) just now growing into my looks and full color. Recently rescued from a shelter where I lived in a cement dog kennel. I'm living in the country now, with several chickens, ducks, some goats, and even a few turkeys... but none of them are right for me. Are you the one?

Here's a pic of me so you know I'm not lying about my looks.
wink.png

072508-1.jpg

YOU:
A relatively young female, preferable around a year old (but no more than two). Ready for a long-term relationship -no showing or breeding (unless you'd like to, of course). HEALTHY and polite -shy is fine, but mean is out. I'm pretty tame so an India Blue would be great, but I'm open to something a little more exotic.

Okay, enough silliness.
tongue.png

I'm willing to drive (within reason) for the right bird at the right price. Let me know if you ship -it's probably too expensive for me, but we'll see. I just want to see my guy happy, so please let me know if you have an available peahen!
fl.gif

*UPDATE: 08/04/08*

Mr.P has found a girlfriend!
big_smile.png

Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

Here's the happy new couple...

"Sweeeet, time to show her my moves..."
080408A-1.jpg

"Is she looking? How do I look?"
Um, don't worry Mr.P, you'll grow into your tail...
080408B-1.jpg

"Is he serious? You said he was a Peacock -not a turkey!" *sigh* "Whatever..."
080408C-1.jpg

Ms.P is a bit over two years old and comes from a nice family of peafowl. They have settled in pretty well and this morning Mr.P decided it was time to impress her and put on the full tail display -the first time I've ever seen him do that! I hope they'll be happy here.
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi,
I`m by no means a peafowl expert, but you may want to look for a peahen that is at minimum 2 years old, that peacock is 2 years or older. Males don`t start getting their long pretty tails until they are at least 2 years old, the tail gets longer and prettier with age.
A female peahen will not normally mate at a year old (some do, but rarely). Being that your male is older, he can make her life quite unpleasant if he`s wanting to breed. Good luck.

Our neighbor has peacocks just running loose. We're allowed to go over their and catch some for pets the man said because they make loud noises he says are annoying. I think their half wild though.

Quote:
Wow, two years at least? He only has the green/eyespot feathers starting to come in on the sides, so I thought he was just over a year (I should've got a better pic). He's starting to get the green between the wings, too, so I thought he was younger. Hrm. Thanks for the info!

Here is my boy Indy he is 8 yrs:
eyes.jpg

Picture089-1.jpg

Momma hen Asia is 6 yrs:
Picture070-1.jpg

It does take a long time to mature. I would try to get a Peahen over 2 if possible. Goodluck

That's a gorgeous pair -and adorable chicks- Florida chick!
love.gif
I can't wait to see my own Mr.P looking like that. I've got a line on a peahen that is just over two years, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
fl.gif

i have two india blue peachicks they are about a month old i think they are going to be boys though cause they both raise their tail...can not wait till they get some color...they are still living in my floor to ceiling with my sun conure....does anyone know how long i should wait till i put them out with my chickens and young turkeys....

Your boy may be just getting his feathers back in after molting, which they do after breeding season. How long have you had him? The one I have is doing that right now. I know I was lucky enough that I found most of them.
Here is mine before with all feathers and now before they grow back.
peacockbefore.jpg

peacockafter.jpg

There is a pea hen that frequents the fountain in our front yard on a regular basis. The reason I know she has come by is because she leaves her droppings on our sidewalk.

There is a neighbor about 1/2 mile to the south and west that has a bunch. I wonder if he'd be willing to part with a hen. Guess I could go introduce myself and point him here.

Back
Top Bottom