Wanted, Simple Breed identification site

Greendecember

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Oklahoma
I looked at the Chicken Breed Search Tool here and while it is a very nice tool it is not what I am looking for. The Chick lady at the feed store had an awesome book. It had a picture of the adult, chick, and egg with the name and quick stats on each page. Looked rather like a child's book in its simplicity. It came in a brown cover small ring binder. It was done by Ideal Poultry. I have searched their site for the book to no avail. I want a website with that kind of simplicity. I want to be able to see pics of the chicks and click it and identify what I might have.

Anyone know any awesome web sites like this? Very simple very basic just the facts mam kinda thing.

I'd like to learn to better identify what is in the tubs at the feed store before I gush and take them home LOL
jumpy.gif

ask your feed store were there chicks come from,and then look for the heavy breeds that are a package like Crackle Hatchery ----supply's Farm and Fleet and Thiesins the give them Black Austr.---Buff Orp.---Barred Rock---Golden and Silver Laced Wy. and then Cornish of course this should help you out.

the best i have found to help with breed ID is --feathersite.com -- and you can buy some books the-- ASOP by APA -- the standerd of perfection-- field giud to chickens -- extrordinary chickens --and there are loots of others

Buschie's dozen :

ask your feed store were there chicks come from,and then look for the heavy breeds that are a package like Crackle Hatchery ----supply's Farm and Fleet and Thiesins the give them Black Austr.---Buff Orp.---Barred Rock---Golden and Silver Laced Wy. and then Cornish of course this should help you out.

They get them from ideal poultry out of Texas. They were the ones that published the book she had. She said it was a $30 but they didn't carry it at the store. I looked on the hachery website and it wasn't there either. I think I'll try e-bay and Amazon next but I'd really like just to find a simple web site. If I never find it I may make it a project LOL​

Sometimes the hatcheries will have that information on their website. So, if you buy a chick from a feed store and find out which hatchery they got the chicks from, sometimes you can go to the website and look at what they sell and narrow it down from there by looking at the chick/adult bird pics.

All of these suggestions are good. I am a big fan of feathersite.com. Another great book is, "Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds". Sadly, it doesn't contain chick photos, but does have some wonderful information.

As I work with a nursery that receives over 100 breeds/varieties during our chick season I am pretty accurate about identifying chicks. (I have also raised over 65 breeds of poultry personally.)

Why don't you contact Ideal Poultry and see if they will sell you their guide?

Quote:
I think I might give them a call monday. In the process of taking pics of the new chicks to post today I went out to the coop and on a fluke looked under the cabinet. There I found a HUGE clutch of Easter eggs! Now I know why I only had 1 green egg since they started laying last month. Guess who will be working on her coop this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom