Wanted: smart and friendly rhode island red

barn biddie

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 4, 2012
A few years ago I boarded my horses at a barn where one hen was so smart and great, and I carried her around and she rode in my truck with me. Long story short, after a while, the barn owner's dog killed the hen. I had given up chicken and chickfila for that smart girl. She was a pet, and she would come to my rescue when my churlish german warmblood would nip or kick me.

So if you have one of those really smart, really great hens, rhode island red or otherwise, I want to buy her. Must be able to put up with my now old churlish wb at my own barn, no more boarding, and live in house with cats. So can't be shy.
Too many coyotes outside to live out.

Send pix and price if you have the really intelligent hen. I grew up with pet bantams but never had a chicken like Rapunzel. Her sister, who died of a virus (I took the sister to my vet for treatment) was not like Rapunzel who was like a dog and very smart. My barn owner was stupid as I'd have paid a lot of money when I moved to my own horse farm with my horses.......I'd have taken Rapunzel and her sister and the other hens.

TIA

Located now in Aiken SC.
Location of hen no problem if she is perfect. I can afford shipping.

Must be intelligent and love people, especially neurotic woman with horses and cats.
Must like to ride in truck although the diesel I had when Rapunzel was alive was noisy, this one is quiet.
Must want to spend time keeping german warmblood in line.

The best way to get a hen that is friendly to you is to get a baby chick and raise it yourself...then it will be imprinted on you...You can get it used to all the above as it grows up. If you treat it as an intelligent being, it will respond as such...

Last edited:
Actually no. I have charisma. I've owned dogs and cats and horses with charisma and those without it. Learned as a small child with my growing up with dogs and cats and bantams about the exceptional animals. (I was the kid everyone picked up as a child, drove my parents crazy since they were afraid I'd be molested, and I had the trial lawyer experiences for over 28 years with juries, showing them what was true and real.) So none of my bantams was like Rapunzel, that look at you when she was 1/2 grown and purchased along with 7 other chickens by my barn owner. Same thing happened with a great TB mare I owned when she first looked at me. It's a psychological thing that is recognized by all living things when you see and recognize an exceptional animal or human.
Rapunzel looked at me and that was it.
Read the book or watch the movie about SeaBiscuit to see how to recognize the exception being. It's something that you don't cultivate or choose. I've seen my dogs and cats and horses recognize it in my other animals even when they do not have charisma themselves.
So I want the hen who looks at you and lets you know she is different and she recognizes the same thing in you that she has.
I never had a bantam with charisma. Had the dogs and cats and horses with it.
The Barn owner got those hens and a rooster. The one hen kept following me around, she was 1/2 grown, and she wanted to ride in my truck and be held in my arms and hang out with me.
There have to be other hens out there like Rapunzel.
Otherwise, I gave up chicken and especially chickfila, for only one hen.
OK I gave up pork for the potbellied big at same barn that I paid for surgery for and they later killed him.
But surely there's some hen, you might think she's weird, who is a big "dog" and acts like a pet dog. Rapunzel could not have been the only one.
Hard for normal people to recognize unless you were raised with dogs and cats and chickens as pets. I did not know that hens could be like my dogs and cats and horses.

Gotta go work with my 2 horses, one with charisma and one without, which is why the mare fell in love with churlish german warmblood and I acquired her to stay with him.

Haven't signed out.
Not worried about imprinting, just anyone with a very intelligent and smart and curious hen, preferably rhode island red but not limited to that, just see if she is the exceptional hen who wants to be a pet.

Back
Top Bottom