1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanted: Tips for Handling Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GKestrel, Mar 21, 2013.

1. GKestrel

GKestrel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    New to chickens. I have 4 6-day-old chicks: 1each Golden Lace Wyandotte, Production Red Black Sex Links, Black Australorp. I know handling them is good. I pick them up several times a day. They're not used to me yet, but we'll get there.

My question: Do chickens have favorite ways to be pet? (Like cats usually like ear or chin scratches.) Does it vary by breed?

2. CourtsCacklers

CourtsCacklers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    I am not 100 percent on this either as I am a newbie too but if you approach chicks from the top they are usually more timid and scared because that is how predator approach them. If you can approach them from the side-- that is best but if not-- speak to them first so they know you are there and approach them slowly. I am not real sure about what is the best way to hold them but I choose to hold mine by sliding my hand under them and letting their legs hang on each side of my right ring finger with their breast laying in my palm. I then gently pet them on the back of their head and their back and they usually go to sleep for me after a little bit. It appears like they like it! I have 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and the Rhode Island Reds have really really really come around. They are only a day and a half old and they jump in my hand now!!!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    having feed in your hand helps as well, they will see you as a food source and come running:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by