1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wanting to add a rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by acsteele, Jan 1, 2014.

1. acsteele

acsteele Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    we are pretty new to chicken, we started with 10 BO hens (haven't gotten our first egg yet, but soon, I hope) already the "chicken math" is taking hold! I'm thinking of adding a few more hens, speckled sussex comes to mind, and a rooster in the spring, from a different hatchery, so we'll have good separation on bloodlines. Do I gamble that I'll get a "good" rooster, and just order one, or do I get a couple, and select the best?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I would probably get two or three that way you have the option to replace one if you don't like another. I have four right now with my hens that have been raised together since they were babies (they're brothers).

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    That really depends. Will you have a way to get rid of the roosters you don't want to keep? Such as killing them for food or giving them to someone who will? If not then you may want to go with only 1 rooster. You have to be sure you will be able to get rid of the extra roosters or it will cause issues. Hen's being constantly chased and over mated, roosters fighting etc.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Mahlzeit has a good point. You need to have a plan for extra roosters. Not only if you get two or three to choose from, but if you hatch out your own chicks. You will get roosters when you hatch. I think you have a good handle on this, but so many people don't. They buy or hatch out these cute little chicks and then have no idea what to do with the extras because "I've had them since they were a day old and I can't possibly kill them." The reality is, unless you have bloodlines to a really good show-quality flock, extra roosters are hard to get rid of. Around here, you can't hardly give them away.

5. acsteele

acsteele Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    I'll have another coop to use, for the second breed, and we will also be adding a tractor, for meat birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by