Wanting to borrow a couple hens for slug control

Aloishhh

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Bellevue, Nebraska
Ok so my parents farm is literally 4 blocks from my front door. I can hear my roosters crowing from my backyard. I'm over there all the time doing my farm girl things. I have about 30 some in my 2 flocks. 11 being my older and more experienced hens who come when they see me or when I call them.
My question is: if I were to bring, say 2 or 3, to my house for pest control in my flower garden(slugs, ants aphids etc.), what are the chances of them making a break for it, either when they've eaten all pests or for pure curiosity? My backyard is fenced with a 6+ foot tall wooden privacy fence. I do have an in ground pool, which worries me a bit, but I'm mostly concerned they will hear said roosters and decide to return home to check as they typically do when they're calling them.
I really want them to come help a girl out, but I'm nervous about them being lost, drowning or disappearing in any manner. Anyone have experience? Thoughts? Suggestions? Any input is welcome.
Thanks friends!

I'm pretty sure they've gotten them outta my mom's gardens over there. I mean I haven't seen them, but there were slugs and then there weren't. Lol so idk. Man. Would the new hens I've just started to free range with the older ladies be less likely to report back to the rooster? Since they haven't really quite decided to accept him as their leader yet? Meaning, they know him, get the idea of him but still aren't crazy about him yet?

I've seen mine peck at slugs, then spend 10 minutes trying to wipe slug slime off their beaks. They don't seem to find ants particularly appetizing either and would probably do more damage to the garden than aphids would.

Ducks are supposed to find slugs particularly appealing.

I'd just set a couple beer traps, personally for the slugs, order ladybugs or lacewings for the aphid control, and either Terro or homemade Terro (sugar water + boric acid) for the ants. If you drink coffee, coffee grounds ringing your plants or raised beds is supposed to repel slugs. We have those stupid leopard slugs around here and beer traps + going out with a flashlight every couple nights to dispose of them seems effective.

Last edited:
Adult slugs are way down the forage preference list for chickens ime. Some chickens will eat them if they are really hungry.
It's more likely they will eat baby slugs.
If your mothers chickens are well fed then I suspect they will eat everything else that's edible before they start on the slugs.

The next concern is the ground pool. It only takes something to panic the hens and they'll rush in whatever direction they think is going to give them safety. If the pool is on route they may well fall in.

The only way I can see this plan having any chance of success is if you stay out with the chickens while they are there.

I've had three chickens fall into contained water. Fortunately only one died but this is because they got extracted before they drowned.

Back
Top Bottom