Wanting to do an easy run extension for overhead predator protection

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Our coop and run are very secure, but we like to let the hens free range when we're outside in the day. Since we don't have a lot of shrubbery, I'm getting increasingly worried about hawks and eagles in our area (they're constantly circling). I know overhead predators can kill when humans are right next to the flock.

I want to do a lazy run extension for just arial coverage. I would only let them out in it when I'm outside too. Hoping for something fenced where we can pull over bird netting and also hang out in there with them.

I don't want to put a lot of effort into building a super sustainable solution until we can design a solid one, but what's an easy placeholder that covers a wide area so they can still get their outside time while I'm out? Would love recommendations for material for fencing that's easy to put up or other tricks for coverage and accessibility. If anyone has photos I'd love to see what you have set up!

I just bought a 25x50 ft poultry net for this reason. It was $30ish on Amazon. The chicken/duck yard is metal T stakes with heavy gauge poultry wire. I'm just going to hook it across the widest ends. I've also got a fake owl and some reflective ribbon to hang up. The Hawks are always circling but never swoop down. I've gotten lucky using just the owl for the last year but I'm not taking any chances.

I just bought a 25x50 ft poultry net for this reason. It was $30ish on Amazon. The chicken/duck yard is metal T stakes with heavy gauge poultry wire. I'm just going to hook it across the widest ends. I've also got a fake owl and some reflective ribbon to hang up. The Hawks are always circling but never swoop down. I've gotten lucky using just the owl for the last year but I'm not taking any chances.

We did the same. Last November, we built an extended area (~40x50) around the coop+run using 8-ft t-post (with the metal post driver/pounder it's easy to put in the posts), and covered half of the top with deer net till I found the 25x50 bird net (much much easier! ). We fenced up all around with deer net and plastic ground nails to hold down the net (also easy to do). Overall pretty low costs and easy to do, and can be removed easily as well.

The photo was taken in November, the posts and nets are not as straight and tight now after all the winter storm/snow, but they all still stand up pretty well. We added another coop attached to the cube earlier this year after this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_8737.jpg
    IMG_8737.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 55
We did the same. Last November, we built an extended area (~40x50) around the coop+run using 8-ft t-post (with the metal post driver/pounder it's easy to put in the posts), and covered half of the top with deer net till I found the 25x50 bird net (much much easier! ). We fenced up all around with deer net and plastic ground nails to hold down the net (also easy to do). Overall pretty low costs and easy to do, and can be removed easily as well.

The photo was taken in November, the posts and nets are not as straight and tight now after all the winter storm/snow, but they all still stand up pretty well. We added another coop attached to the cube earlier this year after this photo.
This is great! Just what I’m looking to do. Do you have any chicken wire around the sides or anything, or just the bird net?

This is great! Just what I’m looking to do. Do you have any chicken wire around the sides or anything, or just the bird net?
We use deer net for the sides of the extended run, and I used garden staples to hold the deer net down. The bird net on top keeps the hawk from attacking them. The deer net on the side is more for keeping the chickens in than keeping the predators out! So far I haven't seen any evidence of any creatures trying to dig or rip the deer net.

The cubical run (with red door) attached to the coop (small, covered with blue tarp) is very well secured with chicken wire and hardware cloth, also with apron hardware cloth all around on the ground (about 18"-20"). We lock the chickens up inside the cubical run and coop at night, and only let the chickens out to the extended run during the day.

Last edited:
We use deer net for the sides of the extended run, and I used garden staples to hold the deer net down. The bird net on top keeps the hawk from attacking them. The deer net on the side is more for keeping the chickens in than keeping the predators out! So far I haven't seen any evidence of any creatures trying to dig or rip the deer net.

The cubical run (with red door) attached to the coop (small, covered with blue tarp) is very well secured with chicken wire and hardware cloth, also with apron hardware cloth all around on the ground (about 18"-20"). We lock the chickens up inside the cubical run and coop at night, and only let the chickens out to the extended run during the day.
Thank you for this, super helpful! I can’t quite tell in the photo - is it open so they have the option to get out or is it fully secured with the deer netting? That’s pretty much exactly what we want. Just curious how you get into it!

Back
Top Bottom