Keeping predators out of the run

MightyChickenJF

Chirping
Jun 21, 2020
Hornbrook, CA
My mom was pleading with me this morning to give up on my chicken plans, because she's worried that the birds will quickly be eaten. I'm not sure if she realizes that the birds will be in a fenced, fabric roofed run-her father (my grandfather) let his chickens have the full run of his two acres.

coopwire.JPG

Somebody mentioned on another thread that this wire might not be suitable for keeping out ground based predators. I responded that I don't think there is much in the way of such where I live. However, lately I have been hearing howling overnight and occasionally seeing prints that appear to be from some sort of canine. I know that the rancher who has superior grazing rights in the area has cowdogs meant to deter cow killer predators, and I have seen the dogs before. AFAIK there are no wolves or coyotes out here, and the animals eating my food compost may not be killers per se. I plan to stop by the county agriculture office next time I am in town and ask them. In the meantime, advice on how to harden the run perimeter is welcome. (I will try to dig the roof fabric out later in the week and post pics.)

OK, here's something I left out:

Each of those rolls is 24" high. They will be placed on top of each other when unrolled, making for a 72" high (6 foot) enclosure. Then there will be fabric stretched across the top of the entire run.

Hardware cloth is a good idea. I do know about antidig aprons, but I've gotten contradictory advice on other forums long ago on how to construct them.

If you're completely locking them up at night, the fabric top should be fine for predatory birds, and your whole plan should be fine, if they're more or less supervised and the coop is 100% predator proof using solid inset pop doors and hardware cloth for other openings.

However, if you're not locking a coop, it opens up to a few more questions. What kind of fabric are you talking? If you have raccoons or anything that will climb, they can tear through it. Chicken wire can be torn through by racoons, weasels, possums...if chicken wire was what I had for a run, I would double it up, bury the bottom with an apron 9" out or 6" down, and put chicken wire on the roofing of the run.

OK, here's something I left out:

Each of those rolls is 24" high. They will be placed on top of each other when unrolled, making for a 72" high (6 foot) enclosure. Then there will be fabric stretched across the top of the entire run.

Hardware cloth is a good idea. I do know about antidig aprons, but I've gotten contradictory advice on other forums long ago on how to construct them.
Anything can break right through chicken wire and fabric won't slow Anything down, day or night. You just lay the fencing against the ground and overlap up the fence.

I think you are trying to take every precaution possible to protect your flock ..as we all should From my experience with predators above and below. I would invest in a yard dog that won't hurt your flock as well as not chase the neighbors cattle. Pay him to protect you the flock and the yard. A security camera and a firearm. To each it's own. It is true though if a predator really wants in any pen they will find a way regardless.

I purchased from Amazon some upward pointing silver. Windmills, like children’s ones but pointing up. They are tied to fensing to help during free ranging. They spin (not the hens) with the wind and keep sky based predators away.
The run has thick metal fencing that is plastic covered up to a corrugated roof (the roof was already there though) and a skirt at the bottom of 30cm pegged down and covered with shingle (originally).
The henhouse itself has an automatic daylight controlled door and rat proof wire on the windows.
😂 I’m a bit obsessive 😂 😂 😂
Hope this helps

I purchased from Amazon some upward pointing silver. Windmills, like children’s ones but pointing up. They are tied to fensing to help during free ranging. They spin (not the hens) with the wind and keep sky based predators away.
The run has thick metal fencing that is plastic covered up to a corrugated roof (the roof was already there though) and a skirt at the bottom of 30cm pegged down and covered with shingle (originally).
The henhouse itself has an automatic daylight controlled door and rat proof wire on the windows.
😂 I’m a bit obsessive 😂 😂 😂
Hope this helps
I've heard hanging cd's around the yard works also.
Depending on what music your hens listen to, they might enjoy them also...... 🤣

Back
Top Bottom