wanting to know why my chickens are not laying

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lass, Oct 6, 2009.

1. lass

lass New Egg

Oct 5, 2009
    hi i have 19 hens which range from 2 years to 7 months old i am feeding dodsons and horrell layers pellet i all so give them something called poultry drink in there water the problem is i am only getting four to five eggs a day trying to find out if i am doing something wrong if there is any one who could help i would be very greatfull thanks steve

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, if they are breeds designed for egg production.... many will start to slow down production wise by the second year... and some of the up and coming hens may just be waiting until spring... that's what most of mine did [​IMG] Any chance something is stealing eggs? Snakes etc? Any chance the hens are hiding their clutches? Do they free range where they might be laying them in the bushes etc? And also they might just be slowing down now since the days are getting shorter.

Hopefully someone else can lend some more insight.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    14 hours of daylight is about optimum for egg production. As the days get shorter, they will slow down. Other reasons could be that they are moulting, or that the older hens are just slowing down on production period.

4. fatboys farm

fatboys farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Franklin GA
    if you put fake eggs in your laying boxes it might help. not sure im just reading raising chickens for dummies. maybe give them a tip,egg laying is hard work.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Were they laying before and have now slowed down?

What is the "poultry drink"?

Are they free ranging or confined to a run?

6. lass

lass New Egg

Oct 5, 2009
    my chickens are in a large run. and poultry drink is a vitamin supplment. the chickens breads are black rocks and rirx which are between 7 month and 8 months old. never had eggs of at least half of them.

7. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Both breeds are prolific layers and early to somewhat early maturing, black rocks are great in cold weather RIRx not tender either. Should have started laying by 5 months. Probably need more light as stated above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by