Wanting to raise baby chicks

Koniucha

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Arizona
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have never owned chicken before but we are wanting to have our own small flock in the near future. I have a few questions/concerns. First, this is a residential home, so there is not alot of land. I also currently have rocks everywhere, but do plan on putting in grass when the time comes around again. Should I wait until I have grass in the backyard to get them?

The second is regarding raising the very young ones. Ideally, that is what i would like. I live with my six year old daughter and it would be a wonderful experience for us both. My concern is my work schedule. I would be keeping them inside in a brooder, but on the days that I do work, I am out of the house for 11 to 12 hrs a day. I work three and four days a week, depending on the week. Is that too much time away from them when they are so young? I am going to see if I can get someone to check on them on those days, but that is no gaurantee.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

I can relate to the 11-12 hours away from home and it's not a problem. Just be sure their heat source is secure and they have room to get away from it. Get a feeder and waterer that will hold enough nourishment while you away.

My #1 tip, make sure to have corid on hand. No matter how clean you keep the brooder or give medicated food a cocci outbreak can still occur.

You can raise chickens on rocks, grass, dirt or whatever you got.
They only need 5 minutes of your time each day, or however it long it takes to fill the feeder & waterer. If you use a large feeder & waterer then it takes 5 minutes every 2 or 3 days.
Your 6 year old could handle that chore.

I guess my concern is something I was reading that baby chicks can get a condition that their butts get plugged up with poo. I can't remember what is is called right now. I though maybe they needed to be observed more often.

You will love it! I just got my first flock and I am in love with everything about those 8 little adorable faces. I had no idea how funny they are and fun they are.

Alert: You will not want to stay gone so long. You will be so curious what they are up to and just went to get home to watch them. Lol!
big_smile.png

I would just try and time it that when you first bring them home you have a couple of days off just so you can get things "dialed in" (heat, food, etc).

After that being away for a while is no big deal.

Now that I'm using a "No waste" chicken feeder and horizontal nipples for a waterer, the only attention they need from me is brooder cleaning and treat/snuggle time! :)

I can relate to the 11-12 hours away from home and it's not a problem. Just be sure their heat source is secure and they have room to get away from it. Get a feeder and waterer that will hold enough nourishment while you away.

My #1 tip, make sure to have corid on hand. No matter how clean you keep the brooder or give medicated food a cocci outbreak can still occur.

Where do I purchase corid?

Back
Top Bottom