Wanting to report somebodies hens and cockerels, questions, please help UK

tabsnjelu

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Hello I know most of the posts here are regarding keeping chickens but sadly I am having to report somebody for what I consider animal abuse and nuisance.
The reason I have not reported yes as worried that they birds will be taken away and not rehomed but destroyed.
Warning long post

Our neighbours(will call them neighbours A) use to have around 10 hens and 2 boys, which was fine. The only things that made us raise an eyebrow was their 'training' methods of throughing fire crackles(?) when the boys would try getting at the hens. They keep them seperated but one of them would rape the other one. Sadly there are no animal rape laws though. The boys would just walk up and down the fence all day trying to get to the girls. Like I said not so nice for them but could not be considered abuse.

Our other neighbour(neighbours B) has chickens also but does not keep them fenced in at all, they run riot over the entire village, we complained but the people denied even owning them and said that the chickens just appeared and they dont know where they came from. These people have done this before though with various animals they have. They had/have 4 cockerels at a time and use to have 10 or so hens who would have chicks in the summer. My cat sadly took two of the chicks and brought them into our garden and was playing with them so i rescued them and went over to give them back but nobody was in and couldnt find the mother tried the next day but same again so i ended up keeping them until sadly they both died between 1-2 years :( . The same people who let the chickens run riot came over to our house once the chickens had grown up and asked if we had seen their chickens, i think they wanted the ones i had raised back :S

A group of 2 pullets and 2 cockerels broke off from the main group and started living in un used neighbours(neighbours C) garden, they would roost in garden C and then go through our garden quickly and spend all day in neigbours A garden. As they got older neighbour A took the hens and bred them to their own roosters, they let one of them have 4-5 sets over summer. Which resulted between 30-50 they now have.
It got a little noisy but we were not that bothered about the noise whilst they were young.
However as they all have their voices now and testosterone there are roughly 20 boys crowing night and day, they make little effort to properly fence them in, little effort to keep them someplace dark at night, and very poor effort at keeping them seperated from each other.
They have had a year now since these guys were little chicks and still keep 10 or so boys together, they are ALWAYS fighting, it might not result in bloody fights all the time but none of them are settled, they compete crowing with each other all day, they gang up on a couple of the lower rank boys and try mating with each other all of the time.
We have had to put a fence up to keep them out of our garden, I went down one morning to be greeted by a cockerel shaking drenched in blood, i went indoors to get something to catch him with but he was gone when i came back out, i presumed they had been in and caught him because they had threaded some make shift fencing through ours. I went down roughly 6 hours later to find they had not got him but infact he had been sat in our hedge all day still shaking covered in blood. So again I went indoors to get something to catch him with as he did appear use to handling, when i came back up one of the owners had lifted the fencing up and got him out. They had been in the garden all day and could clearly see him from their side so no idea why they didnt get him sooner.
They keep 4 of the other boys in a fenced off section together, they are always fighting worse than the others, i have seen them drenched in blood several times, each time they just yell at them and have put up 3 foot fencing that they can fly over so every couple of days they will get in with each other.
Two of them have no shelter whatsoever in the day time, rain.snow or shine.

At first it was just the boys but now they have 3 hens squashed in a run about 1.5ft long, that is maybe legal but they have it sectioned off into 3, the hens are large breeds so can hardly turn around. They are shut in here all day at one point. I assume to stop broodiness.

Neighbours B cockerels are always fighting in other peoples gardens, in the road, 1 of them was run over. 1 of them now lives between us and neighbour C. When he gets into neighbour A's garden they will throw garden trowels at him and generally be aggressive, but they encourage him in as a youngster.

I am wanting to report both neighbours, both are unapproachable and aggressive so giving them a warning would not work, also they do not think they are doing anything wrong, I am worried they will be violent towards us as both are verbally and sometimes physically abusive towards animals. And verbally towards us at times.

Any ideas what the laws say, who i should report to is the biggest thing i am concerned with. The RSPCA around here, being in the countryside is not great at all,reported for dog fighting and nothing was done until the dog attacked a person. Environmental agency?

Please help

That sounds like quite a dilemma. Although you may live in the countryside, it does not sound like the lot sizes in your area are very large. It seems like ordinances would be enforced by some section of the local governance. I wonder if there are any farm animal rescues in your area of the UK. If you contacted them, they may have some helpful suggestions.

Here is a link to the UK thread, if you want to copy this in that thread you may get some more ideas:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/2199/anyone-in-england/120

Hi Scratch 'n' peck, Yes certainly am, I will contact a rescue centre like you say also that way if they are found to be breaking anything and the boys get rehomed they centre should be able to help, ideally.
It is akward because the rest of the chickens are free ranging and have plenty of space and I understand when keeping in large numbers you get pecking order and the odd scrap now and again but when it keeps happening its your responsibility to learn when the only option is seperate them, just sad because if the owners cared enough the chickens could still have a nice life but in seperate runs with girls each or so they cannot see or hear the girls at all.
The land sizes are 1/2 acres, neighbour B just has a front garden and a backyard with stables. where part of the year they keep horses there for several months without letting them out, the RSPCA doesnt do anything though like I said :(

Back
Top Bottom